diy solar

diy solar

Many here say that an alternator should not be connected to LiFePO4 and that one should use DC-DC Charger

In response to ehahn’s post i do personally subscribe to the whole DC to AC to DC thing for cost, control, convenience.

In my RV i do let the lifepo4 charge directly from the alternator if they are at a low voltage, but the wiring is highly non optimized and i dont get anything crazy from it. On the other hand i can use my 5000w msw inverter to power 4x30a power supplies and get a faster charge rate while allowing the voltage at the input to the inverter to drop to say 11 something, because who cares.

Yes, more conversion losses but if im trying to charge batteries at the equivalent of only 1-2hp off the back of a ~7 liter v10, efficiency has already gone out the window imo.
We haven't gone the wakespeed regulator route yet for our soon to be fitted 24v 155A alternator. We are on a boat somthe 450cc twin cylinder diesel genset can kick out over 100A at 24v for less than 2 litres per hour

Back