diy solar

diy solar

Marooned in the desert

Correct.

I saw it when I was shopping (didn't have the panels yet.)
But it was $2,000,000 (21 years ago) and I'm an inconsummate bargain hunter, didn't want to spend my millions that way.
I selected a different property.

Just as well. Bad enough paying $1000/month in property taxes. That one would cost me about $3000/month.

I keep the money I saved as coins in jars buried around the yard. Sometimes when the moon is full I dig them up to pour through my fingers.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my surplus kWh. Maybe build an oversize drone zapper and aim at the satellites passing overhead.

Holy shit.

That's awesome.

Whole damn roof just slides off. Wow.

And a bit less than what I paid 20+ years ago for a small fraction as much house or land.
(At least I got a much lower price buying my 10 mountain acres 35 years ago. Although way back then even that one was still several years income.)

Are the taxes for that much land reasonable there?
I pay just over $300 a year for all 65 acres (in property tax) and if your lot is over 20 acres, you can get a yearly renewable permit to live in your RV on your property (while building a home or if not, you can renew it forever). You are required to have septic in order to live on your property however.

Jen

I pay just over $300 a year for all 65 acres (in property tax) and if your lot is over 20 acres, you can get a yearly renewable permit to live in your RV on your property (while building a home or if not, you can renew it forever). You are required to have septic in order to live on your property however.

Jen

$200/year for 39 acres in Apache county. About 10% more/acre than Mohave. We pay $30 or so for that stupid 1.25 acres near the Skywalk.

Apache requires septic if you're going to hook your RV to utilities. It's a bit ambiguous if you're off grid... :)

Live in the gray areas... :)

$2200/year for 10 acres in Santa Clara county.
Taxes are 1.2% of assessed value, which is purchase price + 2%/year.
Plus any local school/road bonds.

If I build, market value of the improvements is added to the assessed value of the land to compute taxes.

You should do an energy audit to get your head around how much energy you need:

Energy Audit.
This is everything! many including myself bought elements not needed or inadequate. But plan on what the future may reasonably hold as well. If you give people here, who are way smarter than I, the actual watts of the appliances, and the actual run times, and the max amount of days you will be going without generating power in a worst case situation, then the rest is just the math to determine meeting those needs. Someone here with the brains will tell you exactly how to meet the goals... But you really need those goals defined first and foremost...... Do yourself a solid and click that link called "Energy Autit" on MisterSandals signature, download that bad boy and start filling in the blanks and you'll be on your way...

If you have access to the necessary water, swamp coolers are AWESOME alternatives to A/C in the desert. We have a couple small portables at HBR, and the only downside is we never have more than about 900 gallons on site. They can go through 2-4 gallons per hour.
What about geothermal heat pumps? It uses the earth to heat and cool and doesn't waste water.

And a bit less than what I paid 20+ years ago for a small fraction as much house or land.
(At least I got a much lower price buying my 10 mountain acres 35 years ago. Although way back then even that one was still several years income.)
Real estate prices have jumped there just like everywhere else. But starting from a much lower base price. I expect to buy in about 3 years. Hopefully the market will have cooled off by then.

Those roll off observatories are great. Rapid cooling after you open them up means less waiting for good observing conditions. I went to a star party in Julian CA that had a similar setup. It was fantastic.

Looks like he is relocating to AZ. Can't say as I blame him.

Back