diy solar

diy solar

Massimo 100W/18v folding solar panel- DC output adapted to connect to Solar Controller/12V battery ok?

bkeegan1974

Hi- fairly novice electrical guy here.
I have a working 100W solar panel setup to a 20Amp solar charge controller connected to a 12V deep cycle marine battery.
I bought this Massimo 100W solar panel/18v https://www.amazon.com/Massimo-Portable-Foldable-Charger-Powerstation/dp/B099Z53S2G
It only has barrel connector DC outputs/USB ports - so I bought a simple DC adapter to pigtail y cable to connect it in parallel to my solar controller.
Polarity was correct (pos to pos/neg to neg), but there was a spark, and I think my solar controller is toast - it won't detect voltage from either of the panels now (but it still shows the battery voltage).

My question- this SHOULD work, right? I can admit to sloppily holding the pigtails against the solar controller pole pieces and probably crossed them, causing the spark/short. Can these solar panels with built in DC output ports/USB be adapted to connect through a controller?

I have tested the panel output with a multimeter, the panels are both outputting as expected, but the solar charge controller detects nothing.

I will be buying another controller to test. I have also done troubleshooting including completely removing the charge controller, waiting overnight, connecting pieces one by one, etc.

May be you should show us the pictures of how you wired them all up, and info of the SCC also.

The output voltage of the solar panel, must be high enough to satisfy the charge controller.

The solar controller is the GHB 20Amp controller. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZZMDSQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The Massimo panel was putting out 22volts in full sunlight, seems to work fine.
Both the original 100 W solar panel and the Massimo folding panel would be wired directly to the solar controller. Picture attached of original wiring/setup, the only "new" element would be the Massimo panel wired via DC barrel adapter/Y pigtail directly to the solar charger inputs.Tongue Box -Electrical view.jpg

The Massimo solar panel has DC outputs and adapters that make it easily compatible with Jackery power bank type units. I am wondering if the DC output on these type of panels would be regulated in some way that would make it incompatible with regular solar controllers?

Should work fine. Might lose some efficiency, if the two solar panels are producing different outputs. But, will still be better than just one.

Last edited:
I am wondering if the DC output on these type of panels would be regulated in some way that would make it incompatible with regular solar controllers?
The SCC doesn't care where the power comes from, as long as it's in the right voltage range.

With 3 panels in parallel, there should be fuses for each panel. This is required, when more than 2 in parallel.

Open up the controller, odds are good you blew a fuse. 200W at 10v should be under 20A, but the battery state may be low, or you could have reversed the polarity somehow…
Check for a blown fuse.

Thanks all. There are 2 panels, not 3. I did open the controller, it is all circuitry, no visible fuses. I am pretty sure I crossed the wires while "testing" it. Just looking to make sure my understanding of how things SHOULD work is doable.
I am connecting these 2 panels in parrallel, directly to the controller, and looks like I SHOULD be good LOL.

I thought that it was two.
But then, it seemed like 3.
I guess that I miss read this.

Both the original 100 W solar panel and the Massimo folding panel would be wired directly to the solar controller.
My mistake.

You should be good to go.

I have 300 watt Massimo solar blanket; it has xt60 port (which is wired backwards). Compensating (I.e flipping wires to correctly feed my charge controllers) for that it shows 30 volts in clear sun; yet Victron 100-30 and cheap charge controllers read nothing. Any help? Allegedly, the xt60 port puts out 24 V at 16 amps… I’m about to send it back to Costco

Back