diy solar

diy solar

Matching microinverter to solar panel

eigenvalue

Hello,

I'm building a new solar system for my house. I'm ordering the parts on my own, but have some troubles in deciding which micro inverter to use.

The panels have the following specs
425W
Vmp 32.03V
Impp 13.29A
Voc 38.25V
Isc 14.18

I am choosing between APSystems DS3 or DS3-L.

The benefit of DS3 would be maximum power (880W for two panels) whereas DS3-L has 768W.

What I dont understand is if the Mppt ranges and operating ranges will be more beneficial for DS3-L and hence give a higher total power generation? Can you please help me out with how this work in low light conditions and cloudy days - which Microinverter will yield most power?

DS3 mppt range: 32-45V
DS3-L mppt range: 28-45V
DS3 operating range: 26-60V
DS3-L operating range: 16-60V

The cost of the two is virtually the same.
Thanks!

It looks like the DS3-L have a lower startup voltage but I can't imagine what circumstances in which that would be important. I always thought low light just produced less current. Somone with more knowledge with have to give you a more definitive answer.

It looks like the DS3-L have a lower startup voltage but I can't imagine what circumstances in which that would be important. I always thought low light just produced less current. Somone with more knowledge with have to give you a more definitive answer.
This is what I don't really understand... Some people say that a lower startup voltage gives an earlier start in the morning - but looking at data sheets it seems like temperature is the only thing affecting the voltage.

But that also means that when the panels get warm the voltage will drop below the Mppt range, but probably within the operating range. Is that bad?

Is there any benefit at all with the wider mppt range in my setup?

Btw, the installation will be located in Sweden, northern Europe, so it never gets that hot.

Last edited:
If anyone could help me with this I would be very thankful!

I have already received the DS3's, and have a few days to return them if I instead want the DS3-L's.

Should I switch, or will the DS3's be better?

Attachments

• HEX5-405-425_Black Frame_Rev02_EN_EU.pdf
    749.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Manual_APSystems-DS3-L-Micro-Inverter_2021_ENG_1.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
I found this calculator on APSystems

So problem solved, the panels are a match with both DS3 and DS3-L, so I'll go with the DS3 to not do any clipping :)

Thanks @Ampster for responding!

Attachments

• E-Decider-1.3.pdf
    90 KB · Views: 3
Back