diy solar

diy solar

Matching panels to inverter output

bones1

Is there a rule of thumb as to how many watts of panels to inverter output?. Let's say for example we have an MPP LVX6048 inverter rated at 6000 watts, what amount of PV would be required for the inverter to operate correctly and produce full power?. This inverter has the option to operate using PV-only output to load as an option. Let's say I only a have 3kw array connected to it, running in PV output mode would it put out the rated 6kw output?.

Is there a rule of thumb as to how many watts of panels to inverter output?. Let's say for example we have an MPP LVX6048 inverter rated at 6000 watts, what amount of PV would be required for the inverter to operate correctly and produce full power?. This inverter has the option to operate using PV-only output to load as an option. Let's say I only a have 3kw array connected to it, running in PV output mode would it put out the rated 6kw output?.
Is this going to be a grid tied system? If you want to use an inverter, You're going to have to have some sort of "reserve", whether it be the grid, or a battery. Without one of those things, a brief cloud could severely stress your system.

Is there a rule of thumb as to how many watts of panels to inverter output?.

No.

Let's say for example we have an MPP LVX6048 inverter rated at 6000 watts, what amount of PV would be required for the inverter to operate correctly and produce full power?. This inverter has the option to operate using PV-only output to load as an option. Let's say I only a have 3kw array connected to it, running in PV output mode would it put out the rated 6kw output?.

Of course not. You can't get 6kW of power out of 3kW of input. If you need 6kW of inverter output, you should have at least 8kW of PV since you rarely get 100% of your PV power unless conditions are perfect.

Rules of thumb:

PV is sized based on daily energy requirements and available solar.
Inverter is sized based on peak load.
Battery is sized base on the duration between charges (1 day, 2 days, etc.).

Is this going to be a grid tied system? If you want to use an inverter, You're going to have to have some sort of "reserve", whether it be the grid, or a battery. Without one of those things, a brief cloud could severely stress your system.
I will have the grid and batteries. I was just curious.

No.

Of course not. You can't get 6kW of power out of 3kW of input. If you need 6kW of inverter output, you should have at least 8kW of PV since you rarely get 100% of your PV power unless conditions are perfect.

Rules of thumb:

PV is sized based on daily energy requirements and available solar.
Inverter is sized based on peak load.
Battery is sized base on the duration between charges (1 day, 2 days, etc.).
Thanks, waffle man, you have answered my questions.

Back