diy solar

diy solar

Max. PV Input Current for SPF5000TL HVM-P

fopoku2k2

Anyone knows the maximum PV input current for Growatt Inverter model SPF5000TL HVM-P?

Hello again.

It's not published. When that's the case, one assumes the 80A charge current is also the PV input current limit.

IIRC, from your other thread, a 2S6P array would work fine @ 66A. You MIGHT be able to go 3S4P, but you have to give a little wiggle room for the 145Voc limit - you must not violate that. I know it's not cold where you are, but even the desert gets cool at night, and that can cause a voltage spike in the morning. I wouldn't exceed 135Voc unless you NEVER get colder than 10°C.

The only downside compared to your existing 8-10S array is that you will have wiring losses associated with lower voltage and higher current. This likely isn't a big deal unless you have long runs between your panels and MPPT.

"but even the desert gets cool at night" hahahahahahaha. The coldest it gets here is 23-24°C. I have about 15m between panels and inverter

I contacted Growatt technical and the guy claims 18A but I find it hard to believe.

Thanks for your help again

"but even the desert gets cool at night" hahahahahahaha. The coldest it gets here is 23-24°C. I have about 15m between panels and inverter

I contacted Growatt technical and the guy claims 18A but I find it hard to believe.

Thanks for your help again

Ah... IIRC, you said tropical... my bad.

Yeah, he's full of shit. 145V * 18A = 2610W on a unit that claims to be able to handle 4500W? Silly.

Given your panels, 3S4P is probably your best option. That puts you at only 44A, and that would reduce any concerns with wiring losses.

Back