diy solar

diy solar

Max solar on MPPT 100/30 advice please

brackstone

I have a Victron MPPT 100/30 which I will be using on a 24v system.

I know the max wattage is 880w and max OCV is 100v

I have a choice of two solar setups. 3 x 300w panels which will be max 900w and OCV in series 102v

or I can go with 3 x 250w panels which means it will be within the MPPT settings but 150 watts less.

My question is, can I go with the 300w panels, will this damage the MPPT or will it just restrict output to the max output of the controller.

I expect being in the UK the panels will never reach the max output as these are ideal figures but just in case I get a really amazing sunny day :)

You can go over on wattage but never go over on Voc. And Voc goes up as the temperature goes down. Voc can be reached with any light, even first thing in the morning. So being in the cloudy UK isn't any reason to risk too much voltage.

Exceeding the max PV input voltage can hurt the SCC. So no, you can't use the 3 300W panels on the 100/30. If you upgrade to the 150/35 then you would have no trouble with the 3 300W panels. You could probably go with 3 330W panels on the 150/35.

Having said all of that, you could use the 3 300W panels with the 100/30 if you put the 3 panels in parallel instead of in series. But this is far from ideal since the voltage will barely be enough to charge the batteries. In lower light conditions you'll have terrible performance so it's not really a viable option.

So either find 3 panels with a Voc of about 28.3V (85V total) or less or upgrade to the 150/35.

You can go over on wattage but never go over on Voc. And Voc goes up as the temperature goes down. Voc can be reached with any light, even first thing in the morning. So being in the cloudy UK isn't any reason to risk too much voltage.

Exceeding the max PV input voltage can hurt the SCC. So no, you can't use the 3 300W panels on the 100/30. If you upgrade to the 150/35 then you would have no trouble with the 3 300W panels. You could probably go with 3 330W panels on the 150/35.

Having said all of that, you could use the 3 300W panels with the 100/30 if you put the 3 panels in parallel instead of in series. But this is far from ideal since the voltage will barely be enough to charge the batteries. In lower light conditions you'll have terrible performance so it's not really a viable option.

So either find 3 panels with a Voc of about 28.3V (85V total) or less or upgrade to the 150/35.
Thank you this is what I needed to know, for now will go with the 250w panels as this is near to the max VOC and max current. Any future upgrade I will look at the bigger MPPT

I have a Victron MPPT 100/30 which I will be using on a 24v system.

I know the max wattage is 880w and max OCV is 100v

I have a choice of two solar setups. 3 x 300w panels which will be max 900w and OCV in series 102v

or I can go with 3 x 250w panels which means it will be within the MPPT settings but 150 watts less.

My question is, can I go with the 300w panels, will this damage the MPPT or will it just restrict output to the max output of the controller.

I expect being in the UK the panels will never reach the max output as these are ideal figures but just in case I get a really amazing sunny day :)
Can you share the solar panel's make and model?

Are these two panels the only ones you would consider buying?

If you have the space required, would you consider 4 panels?

Best,
D.

nm, old post :)

Back