diy solar

diy solar

Maxed Out Milk Crate Build!

I use my crate for when we take trips to a lake that's near us, we grill on charcoal but have milk crate for using an instant pot and running a fan, dc cooler , and of course charging iPads , phones etc.. I plan on using it camping as soon as weather cools a bit more. I also use it at home sometimes to do things instead of using an extension cord. I love just knowing that I have it for emergencies. I opted to remove the charger from the crate to make it lighter and neater, I can still use a charger without having it mounted in the crate.
Thanks for the feedback and useful information!

I have not built one of these yet but have experience building other solar projects and am familiar with the equipment. The only thing I would alter in a build like this is to mount the inverter on the outside of the crate to make room inside for the rest of the build and place the heat away from things.

I have not built one of these yet but have experience building other solar projects and am familiar with the equipment. The only thing I would alter in a build like this is to mount the inverter on the outside of the crate to make room inside for the rest of the build and place the heat away from things.
That's the beauty of it, you can do it any way you want. I haven't had any issues with inverter and heat although its only 1000 watts and rarely gets pushed really hard for long periods.

That's the beauty of it, you can do it any way you want. I haven't had any issues with inverter and heat although its only 1000 watts and rarely gets pushed really hard for long periods.
exactly, I was just throwing that out there because its a creative difference.

No Meter or on/off switch. Only power switch is on/off on inverter. No schematic basically you can see all the parts. Battery has bluetooth so you can monitor state of charge and power coming in or out. The battery, crate, and inverter are exactly 12" which is important as most crates aren't . I got my crate from Uline and its a true 12"
AO Lithium battery 100 ah
Terminal fuse Blue Seas 150 amp (Has the little red rubber cover on it)
Victron 100/15 charge controller
Voltworks 1,000 watt inverter
2 awg wires to inverter ( Overkill but I had them , so I used them)
10 Awg wires from charge controller to battery
I like the wheels and handle. Possibly roll into a public library during winter for a charge? Does having internal bluetooth mean you dont need a shunt? I use charge controller voltage and calculate to get percentage (bad idea). And how many panels do you have? I have two, hundred watt and pull in 7amp with 100 amp hour battery, got 10amps with a 50 amp hour. Do I need to add another 100 watt panel to get full use of battery?

I like the wheels and handle. Possibly roll into a public library during winter for a charge? Does having internal bluetooth mean you dont need a shunt? I use charge controller voltage and calculate to get percentage (bad idea). And how many panels do you have? I have two, hundred watt and pull in 7amp with 100 amp hour battery, got 10amps with a 50 amp hour. Do I need to add another 100 watt panel to get full use of battery?
I love the bluetooth function of battery and yes replaces shunt see pic below. How many watts are you getting? Should be the same regardless of battery size, be sure that batteries are drained enough so charge controller supplies full current, if one is nearly full controller can charge at a reduced amount. 200 watts of panels is decent for 100ah battery ,( solar generator usage speaking ) Use it and you can always add another if you find you need to.

Attachments

• IMG_5A9AFE121C1B-1.jpeg
    IMG_5A9AFE121C1B-1.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 7
I really like the idea of a Solar Crate; it seems analogous to building your own PC vs a Laptop.

However, how's the safety of the systems? People like to use solar generators and throw them in a car (Jackeries, Bluetties etc). Would you have any doubts of throwing this in a car and using it there? Can it withstand 50deg C temperatures (if stored inside a car in the summer)

I really like the idea of a Solar Crate; it seems analogous to building your own PC vs a Laptop.

However, how's the safety of the systems? People like to use solar generators and throw them in a car (Jackeries, Bluetties etc). Would you have any doubts of throwing this in a car and using it there? Can it withstand 50deg C temperatures (if stored inside a car in the summer)
I would say it would hold up better than the store bought ones and is safe. The battery specifications are Charge 0 C -55 C
discharge -20C - 60C and being in crate has excellent airflow. I have built computers also ( as a hobby)

I love the bluetooth function of battery and yes replaces shunt see pic below. How many watts are you getting? Should be the same regardless of battery size, be sure that batteries are drained enough so charge controller supplies full current, if one is nearly full controller can charge at a reduced amount. 200 watts of panels is decent for 100ah battery ,( solar generator usage speaking ) Use it and you can always add another if you find you need to.
I am getting 11.5 amps. If I add one more 100 watt I should get at least 16 amps? Why did you go with the Victron charger and not the Drok 48volt? Mine got hot after an hours use. Skeptical about longer use plus a decent amount of reviews say it is problematic. Im not going to use this very much and questioning the cost difference. If you made wood frame on bottom of crate flat and use smaller castors might help. The castor cart is nice, could make a cheaper generic version and sell them. I could see it in a sporting good store. But that is a whole different topic. Pic of drok on wood base so wires lay flat secured w/ 3m 2 side tape, stronger than I thought. Maybe store away and pull out when needed. Other pic of full system. Cant put cover on fuse box but came out ok for first time. I put double sided tape under battery and put screw through nylon strap in back, should I secure more with a piece of wood going vertical near top of battery. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 20220827_100451.jpg
    20220827_100451.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220827_101015.jpg
    20220827_101015.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 15
I am getting 11.5 amps. If I add one more 100 watt I should get at least 16 amps? Why did you go with the Victron charger and not the Drok 48volt? Mine got hot after an hours use. Skeptical about longer use plus a decent amount of reviews say it is problematic. Im not going to use this very much and questioning the cost difference. If you made wood frame on bottom of crate flat and use smaller castors might help. The castor cart is nice, could make a cheaper generic version and sell them. I could see it in a sporting good store. But that is a whole different topic. Pic of drok on wood base so wires lay flat secured w/ 3m 2 side tape, stronger than I thought. Maybe store away and pull out when needed. Other pic of full system. Cant put cover on fuse box but came out ok for first time. I put double sided tape under battery and put screw through nylon strap in back, should I secure more with a piece of wood going vertical near top of battery. Thanks for your help.
This screenshot is from 1 (200 watt) panel , you multiply the amps x volts = watts .
I took the crate off the wheels and lightened it up by removing the charger, I may get a small aluminum handtruck to haul crate and panels. I just went with a standard battery charger because it seemed easier at the time, glad I did because I don't really need rapid charging from AC.
Good luck and hope you get good use out of it.

Attachments

• IMG_2897.PNG
    IMG_2897.PNG
    340.1 KB · Views: 5
Wanted to check in - how's the milk crate? Do you still use it often, how's it holding up etc?
It's fine. I haven't used it much lately. I use it more during the summer. I had it charged and ready for the cold spell a few weeks back in case we lost power but we never did. It's nice to have even when when I'm not Using it, kind of like a pistol.

Back