diy solar

diy solar

Maximizing Alpicool AC/DC 26Q/25L fridge run-time..

The link in his description is identified as an affiliate link. Why did you say it's non-affiliate?
Because he said he's not being paid (and my experience mostly mirrors his).

You are correct that the link says affiliate, which I didn't see when I posted the original link (I was going by the disclaimer included in the video). So, although he's more critical of the Alpi' than I am (I have no complaints!), you can take his "review" with a grain of salt. My apology.

Last edited:

Then he's a liar.

As an affiliate, he gets paid when someone clicks his link and makes a purchase. If he gives a favorable review, it increases his likelihood of getting paid.

There's a difference between being sponsored and being paid. It may be accurate to say he wasn't sponsored, but he's absolutely getting paid.

It may be accurate to say he wasn't sponsored, but he's absolutely getting paid.
Fair enough. But I still think the video's useful for anyone considering an Alpicool since his description/experience mostly mirrors my own (mine being more favourable than his).

There's a GOOD reason the Alpicools are cheap. Cheaply made.

Cheap components, cheap labor.

Especially the compressors. They MUST use cheap compressors to sell them at that price.

Common sense.

If I buy one, it will be with the LG compressor. Supposedly it's "slightly" better but who knows? Could be the exact same as the others.

They all now come with the LG compressor.
Those with worries about cheap builds can spend 3-4 times more on the "popular' brands. $$$$$$
I've got two 54qt Massimos (Alpicool Costco label) running in the hot AZ temps since last spring and I
Have the savings still my wallet. "IF" one ever fails it'll go back to Costco. On sale now for $270.;)
I'd say for them running this long is a positive statement on their cheap build.

They all now come with the LG compressor.
Those with worries about cheap builds can spend 3-4 times more on the "popular' brands. $$$$$$
I've got two 54qt Massimos (Alpicool Costco label) running in the hot AZ temps since last spring and I
Have the savings still my wallet. "IF" one ever fails it'll go back to Costco. On sale now for $270.;)
I'd say for them running this long is a positive statement on their cheap build.

Ok, IF....you run it every day or a lot , then yes. But if you're only using it occasionally then we still don't know.
For example, one that runs 24/7 vs one that comes out once a year for a 2 day camping trip.

I'm looking to determine if maybe people who have had early failures maybe abused them such as blocking the vents on it.

The compressors already run hot. Blocking the vents even a little will make a huge difference.
Likewise, ones that run in an air conditioned place rather than in 100 degree ambient temps.

Right now, I use a $79.00 Galanz mini fridge (AC) from Walmart.
It uses a bit more energy, but I easily compensate with solar panels.
It has been a non issue for me as far as energy and believe me, I have the bare minimum in terms of solar and battery capacity.
Specifically, I have 200watts of solar panels and 2 Automotive Lead Acid batteries and have plenty of power to replace what it uses and still power everything else I need.

Last edited:
The compressors already run hot. Blocking the vents even a little will make a huge difference.
Definitely, do not block vents on any electronic device, but the Alpi' I've got (MK25) very definitely does NOT run hot by any gage you wanna use. It barely gets warm around the exhaust vents. Perhaps, those who use them as freezers in hot climates may experience more, but I'm sensitive to heat and I don't see that as an issue.

Definitely, do not block vents on any electronic device, but the Alpi' I've got (MK25) very definitely does NOT run hot by any gage you wanna use. It barely gets warm around the exhaust vents. Perhaps, those who use them as freezers in hot climates may experience more, but I'm sensitive to heat and I don't see that as an issue.

Do you have a laser thermometer?

I would like someone who has an alpicool to see what the highest temperatures they can read inside at the compressor might be.

By their very nature, compressors run hot. It's what they do. Heat rejection is an important part of compressor design.

Do you have a laser thermometer?
I would like someone who has an alpicool to see what the highest temperatures they can read inside at the compressor might be.
By their very nature, compressors run hot. It's what they do. Heat rejection is an important part of compressor design.
Sorry, no laser thermometer. But the Alpicool's a relatively small box and it's compressor's only a coupla inches from the vents. If it were emitting a great deal of heat, I reckon it'd be pretty obvious.

Never noticed that much of a heat problem with mine in the trailer. On the Massimo the compressor section is located in the upper right part of the box instead of most mounted in the lower section. It’s very well fan ventilated on three sides.

Sorry, no laser thermometer. But the Alpicool's a relatively small box and it's compressor's only a coupla inches from the vents. If it were emitting a great deal of heat, I reckon it'd be pretty obvious.

Not necessarily.

Can you tell exactly the temperature inside just by feeling the outside of the fridge?

What you "feel" at the vents is not an adequate determination of the actual compressor temp. Many factors can affect what you feel.
That's why I suggested a laser thermometer. To get an objective reading and not a subjective one.

It should run at around 125F. It only takes a 25F increase to start thinning the lubricants.
Depending on the room temp and other factors, you probably wouldn't notice.

Most people likewise would not notice just by standing outside their car and feeling the heat if their car engine began to overheat. Some might, but most would not.

Last edited:
Can you tell exactly the temperature inside just by feeling the outside of the fridge?
What you "feel" at the vents is not an adequate determination of the actual compressor temp. Many factors can affect what you feel.
That's why I suggested a laser thermometer. To get an objective reading and not a subjective one.

I wish I had a laser thermometer to give you definite numbers, but I don't.

Facing the Alpi' MK25 (with the long side facing me), the case is 13" deep with vents at the right-rear, the right side and the right-front—essentially all of the electrics're located at the far right side of the case, about an inch or so behind the vents. There's a fan inside the right-rear vent blowing air (forward/into the case) onto the compressor and, then, the air exits out the front-right vents, which is where I'm gaging the exhaust temps. Obviously, the temperature of the compressor is gonna be higher than the exhaust air, but I can't imagine the compressor being dangerously HOT! when the exhaust air comin' outta the front vent (just a coupla inches past the compressor) is only just mildly warm.

Love my ICECO VL60 runs in my car all the time with one side at 0 degrees and the other at 36 degrees. I run it on a 32ah hook to 100 watt solar panel which runs fridge and charges battery during the day. Then I also run it on my 280ah battery hooked to 300 watt on a different solar charge controller, This is normally when camping. But with no solar and fridge/freezer going I've ran it over a week on the 280ah.

Back