diy solar

diy solar

Maximizing space for solar array on shed

journeyman846

I am trying to build an off-grid array mainly to charge my Tesla, and eventually my shed/office equipment. Below is a picture of the shed and the dimension of each side of the roof is 12'4" X 4'10". I bought a pallet of 10 REC 375W REC375TP2SM72 from signature solar. These panels are 78.9 " x 39.4" each. I obviously want to make use of as many panels as possible but without letting them overhang the edges I will only be able to get around two on the roof of the shed, and maybe two or three between the shed and fence. Would the overhang be a problem if I were to use IronRidge XR-100 rails? My other option might be to put them on the roof of the main house. But I was really trying to avoid getting any permits or modifying the roof on a our new house.
IMG_1550.jpg
IMG_1551.jpg

Which way is South in the first picture? If you overhang the shed roof (creating an eave of sorts) wind lifting the panels may become an issue.
I am not familiar with the rails. A link and/or picture would be nice.

Does Dennis the Menace live on the other side of the fence? I wonder how your panels are going to like the basketball.

Which way is South in the first picture? If you overhang the shed roof (creating an eave of sorts) wind lifting the panels may become an issue.
I am not familiar with the rails. A link and/or picture would be nice.

Does Dennis the Menace live on the other side of the fence? I wonder how your panels are going to like the basketball.
The back of the shed is facing south, so the roof of the shed sees sun all day long. The basketball goal is in my driveway and is moveable, luckily the daughter is a pretty good shot so it likely won't be a big issue. Wind is pretty strong here at times, the difference in cost between the XR-100 and XR-1000 is only a few dollars so an upgrade to those is fine if needed. https://www.ironridge.com/component/xr-rails/ is the link to the spec sheets.

If solar panels are flexible in both directions some kind of supporting grid should work.
Determining how much flexing you will get vs how much is tolerable vs. wind speed is complex.

If it were me, I would spin that shed 90 degrees right where it sits and start paneling from peak of roof all the way out to the fence.

Orange= shed, Brown= Fence, Black= Panels, Red= Basket
Left side of drawing is south.Journey-01.JPG

If it were me, I would spin that shed 90 degrees right where it sits and start paneling from peak of roof all the way out to the fence.

Orange= shed, Brown= Fence, Black= Panels, Red= Basket
Left side of drawing is south.View attachment 85393
Unfortunately moving the shed isn't something the wife is going to allow since it would cut in to the usable backyard space for the kids, and I work out of this daily so I would be ruining the sod walking to it each day.

Unfortunately moving the shed isn't something the wife is going to allow since it would cut in to the usable backyard space for the kids, and I work out of this daily so I would be ruining the sod walking to it each day.
Do you need a "covered parking spot" in your driveway?

So I have more order placed with Solar-electric.com! Surprisingly the wife actually suggested I put it on the roof of the main house. She doubts the city here would really care or even find out if I didn't get a permit (we also have great a great relationship with all our neighbors). I am still planning to install on the shed, but if I were to decide to move it to the main roof, what kind issues might this cause with home insurance? (roof, not electrical).

So I have more order placed with Solar-electric.com! Surprisingly the wife actually suggested I put it on the roof of the main house. She doubts the city here would really care or even find out if I didn't get a permit (we also have great a great relationship with all our neighbors). I am still planning to install on the shed, but if I were to decide to move it to the main roof, what kind issues might this cause with home insurance? (roof, not electrical).
I suggest opening that can of worms yourself. That relatively new saying "its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" is just wrong.
Your neighbors are not the issue, many municipalities look at satellite pictures. The theys are watching ?️‍♂️

Roof mount with no permit?
Can't sell house even if you say "as is"?
Don't tell your house insurer.

I can't imagine how many NEC violations my house has.
If I have to sell I will just disconnect all my mods.
If we die first then my kids will have to deal with selling.

Our insurer wrote us a letter asking about our house & writing to us as if we were kids, saying "First, we'll go online."
No, we won't.
I wrote over the top of their letter, "The house is as it was" & sent back via USPS.
Evidently these turkeys settled for that.

If they call us & I pick up, I will speak technical-sounding nonsense.

It worked for our mortgage company trying to pitch a home equity line.
I talked about plate voltages & sump pumps & Communism & Jesus & spoke very slowly & paused a lot.
She actually got embarrassed & hung up.

Another unwelcome caller said "agent disconnect" & hung up, because the line was taped & her boss needed to know why the conversation ended.

But you have to stay "in character".

Back