diy solar

diy solar

maximum series fuse

pokemasterdanny

1600043558721.png
So I'm confused by what the maximum series fuse means exactly. I have like 20 of these solar panels and I want to know how many I can parallel connect them and series connect without there being an issue.

That rating is the maximum rating allowed that will offer protection to the panel should something go wrong and current from somewhere else be able to flow back into the panel.

In parallel the only limits are, the gauges of wire and isolation switch ratings that you need to run to handle the current and your chargers input current limit. If more than 2 panels in parallel each panel should have a fuse no more than the rating on the back of the panel.

In series you have to contend with the voltage. Most domestic panels have a maximum string voltage of 1000V (eurospec) / 600V (UL spec?) but it is effectively the same rating. If you go over 1000V (there is a safety margin built in here) you can get electrical breakdown and then fires start. Of course you also need to keep the voltage acceptable to your charge controller / inverter. Most off-grid systems top out around 150VDC, grid tied usually around 500VDC but you can get 800VDC+ models. High voltage DC is not something to play with so avoid that if at all possible and play with < 150V systems.

Parallel or series, the voltages out of the array need to be within the usable range for your system. For systems with DC coupled batteries this typical means a fair margin over battery voltage. If you post your model inverter / charge controller that'll let people see the specs for it and give you some advice on how you can arrange your panels.

What's your battery voltage? The Victron naming scheme is solar voltage/current so 150/45 = 150V max solar, 45A max current on the battery or solar input, which ever comes first.

The 45A model into a 12V battery can only ever produce about 540W
The 70A model into a 12V battery can only ever produce about 840W

Double figures for 24V. Rough figures only but that's a good start.

Your panels have a Voc of 43.6. The total array voltage must always be below the voltage rating of the Victron,150V in your case. The maximum number of panels you can put in series is 3. This also gives you good temperature headroom for low temperature voltage increase. From there it's a case of putting sets of three in parallel to use up all your panels or reach the current limit on the Victron controller. 20 / 3 isn't an even number so you might set up with two panels in series than parallel those sets or run one controller with sets of 3 and the other with sets of two etc.

Since you have one controller with a much higher current rating you'd stack more panels onto it since it can provide more current to the battery.

One thing to be aware of, you have to consider how much current your battery can accept without being damaged.

Also I forgot to mention that I'm using a 48 volt configuration for the 45 amp charge controller and a 24 volt configuration for the 70 amp charge controller. I also plan on changing the 24 volt one to a 48 volt one when I get more money.

OK, I think you have enough info to work out what you want to do, if you have more questions post away.

OK, I think you have enough info to work out what you want to do, if you have more questions post away.
I have one more question. You said that the gauge of the wire would also limit my setup, but is it possible for me to replace the wires that are already connected to the solar panels that I already have since they don't look like they are a high gauge?

You shouldn't have to unless you are doing something weird. In an all parallel configuration each panel is hooked onto the common wires directly so only has to deal with its own current and in a series string of all the same panels again only has to deal with it's own amperage since all panels in the string have the same rating. The common wiring is the wiring that has to be sufficiently heavy to carry the combined current of all the panels.

There's actually a bit more to the series thing. The current in the string is actually set by the lowest rated panel so if you had a string of 10A panels and had one 5A panel the entire string would fall to 5A. If you have more than one string the common wiring has to be heavy enough to carry the combined current of all the strings.

The wiring on the panel should be OK as is.

Back