diy solar

diy solar

MaxOak Bluetti EB150 1500 W-Hr Charging with Solar Panels

sillyfreak

I have a Panasonic HIT 330W solar panel that I want to use to charge my new Bluetti unit. The solar panel lists a max power voltage of 58.0V and a maximum power current of 5.7A = 330W. This seems compatible with the 60V/10A/500W max input plug.

However, the solar panel also lists a maximum open circuit voltage (Voc) of 69.7V. Could this damage my Bluetti unit (69.7V > 60V)? If so, do you have any ideas on how to prevent an over-voltage situation?

Attachments

• HIT_330W.JPG
    HIT_330W.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 12
Excellent PV module, one of the best on the market and my personal favorite. They are 96 cell modules which is why they are so high voltage.

Unfortunately you need to look at the VOC times a safety factor of 1.25. So 69.7 VOC * 1.25 = 87.125 V. I would not use any solar input rated for less than this or your could fry it. And I'm not aware of any easy over-voltage protection.

I'm pretty new at all this, but as I understand it open circuit voltage (Voc) is the voltage when there is no load on the solar panel and essentially there is no current flowing. But if you connect that panel to a Bluetti, won't there be a load and current towards the battery at all times, therefore sparing the panels from reaching Voc upon connecting?

There is usually a moment of dead time before the controller provides current on its output. During that time the panels will be near VoC.

A MPPT controller may let the panels float all the way up as it scans for the MPP. When the battery is fully charged and if there is no load across the battery drawing current the controller won't present much of a load, so once again the panels will rise up to near VoC.

PWM controllers have similar issues.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. As a follow-up, I purchased a Drok Voltage Regulator (attached) to step down the potentially damaging 70VDC down to 50VDC to push into my 60V/10A/500W (max) 1,500 W-hr Buletti solar generator. The display gives me input voltage, plus output voltage/current/power.

I am now working on a sun tracking frame for my Panasonic HIT 330W solar panel to track the sun in azimuth and elevation.

Attachments

• drok.JPG
    drok.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 19
Can you let me know how and if this worked? I'm facing the same problem running 3 series of 100w 22voc panels and getting overcoat code

Can you let me know how and if this worked? I'm facing the same problem running 3 series of 100w 22voc panels and getting overcoat code
Yeah, 3 x 22 voc = 66 volts = overcoat code on a EB150 that cuts off at 60 volts.

Only the EB240 can accept 3 series of 100w 22voc panels.

Yes, the Drok Voltage Regulator worked fine. As MBR mentioned, you need to keep the input below 60V on the Buletti unit.

I'm looking to do a similar thing but don't those devices have a constant use time of 2000 hours (80 days ish)? Is there anything else on the market that's more suitable? I personally would be scared it would break and send over 60v to my eb150 and potentially distroy it or worse start a fire whilst I'm out.

I'm looking to do a similar thing but don't those devices have a constant use time of 2000 hours (80 days ish)? Is there anything else on the market that's more suitable? I personally would be scared it would break and send over 60v to my eb150 and potentially distroy it or worse start a fire whilst I'm out.
The EB150 and EB240 have had their specs revised to allow up to 68v, not 60.

Back