diy solar

diy solar

Maybe beware of the Renogy 3000W inverter/charger.

wcn00

I bought one of these because it was inexpensive and at 3000w its way over spec for my needs. However after 4 weeks it failed. No error codes or anything, just dead. Over a few interactions with Renogy (sending proof of failure and the purchase order etc) they promptly refunded my money which was very nice.
Later I dismantled the unit and found the attached picture. This was installed under my bed and failed while I was sleeping on it. I'm really glad it didn't cause a fire. Thats why I posted it in the danger zone :)
I've since ponied up the extra 800 and ordered a victron....

ttfn
wcn

Attachments

• IMG_20200604_175245.jpg
    IMG_20200604_175245.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 290
I'm no electronics expert. Can you tell me what's wrong here? The excessive glue?

Edit: Wait, maybe it's the burned out transformer.

Mine failed in May after a couple of weeks of use also. No lights or fault signals. Renogy is incredibly slow to respond to tickets. Finally they wanted a video of situation when hooked up. Sent to them but no word. I would avoid Renogy at all costs.

Where in an RV, especially a small one, is best for an inverter?
Anyplace you can push a LOT of air past it, and it also won't be a fire hazard if it overloads or dies. RV inverters are usually installed in the cargo compartment underneath, or in an enclosed closet for electrical systems with ventilation. If your RV is THAT small I'd seriously suggest mounting it on an open section of wall so it can get some airflow.

I just returned the same unit, Renogy 3000 watt inverter/charger. Opening the box and reading the manual was a red flag. The manual had very limited information and of course their support is dubious at best. Their demo videos are misleading and not informative. If you follow their demo video without reading the manual you’ll likely melt something.
We will be getting the Multiplus after al.

I read this thread with considerable interest as I have a Renogy 3kw Inverter/charger installed in my Airstream. I'm primarily interested in the
Charger portion as the Inverter only powers my Microwave occasionally. I had ordered a 2KW version but they shipped me the 3KW version as a substitute due to delivery times. The MW load is circa 1600watts so a 3KW Inverter is overkill....

I see the burnt transformer/diode in the picture but what were the operating conditions when it failed? Did it fail while simply charging the battery bank or was the Inverter potion in operation ? what was the actual "load" on the inverter/charger?

Thanks

there doesn't seem to be anywhere to get these repaired??
I have 2, a 3000 & a 2000 watt inverter/charger.
the 2000 has a code 99 showing,
and the 3000 won't do anything.
any ideas on what I should do with them?

Back