diy solar

diy solar

MC4 cables in hot sun

JWLV

-.-. --.-
Should there be any concerns with MC4 cables laying on the ground under the hot sun?
I'm in Las Vegas and during the summer months, the asphalt in the street can be as hot as 165 F (74 C) degrees when the sun is beating down on it at midday.
I have 50 ft of MC4 cables running through my back yard out in the open. Should I be concerned about this for next summer? Any safety measures that I should look into?

No, not for sun damage.

I'm a little to the south of you in phoenix where its slightly hotter and even more sunny. I have had MC4 cables on my RV roof for a year with two summers with no issues.

I would want these cables protected somehow from people tripping. I'd Probably want conduit. I'd see what the code is and see if that's practical. It'd be nice also to bury the cables, but that may not be practical either.

I wonder about that myself. I have my cables partially in the dirt and partially on the cement on my patio. I bought some PVC cable protectors more to prevent tripping more than protection from heat. May be a little expensive for a 50 foot length. I bought two 6 foot lengths for about $25. We get triple digit summer heat in So Cal, but nothing like in Vegas.

Nobody really goes to my backyard so I don't need to worry about anyone tripping on those cables. My only concern is about the sun and heat damaging the cables over time. I suppose when that happens, I can just replace those cables.

Back