diy solar

diy solar

MC4 converting to SAE HELP!!!

Jeremy Brown

I have 2, 12 volt, 160 watt, Poly Solar panels with MC4 connectors. I am trying to connect them to my 30 amp MPPT controller in my overland trailer (turtleback). Currently the trailer has a SAE connection mounted to the sidewall of the trailer. Currently this SAE connection is attach to a 20 amp pwm controller that I am replacing with the 30 amp MPPT. I bought a MC4 to SAE adapter off amazon, thinking this would be a simple fix. However when looking more closely I noticed the connection states that it is a "polarity reverse connector" That is when I started scratching my head. Please help. Can anyone out there tell me what this reverse polarity thing is (I understand polarity I don't understand why on earth I would do that), and can you tell me if I am missing something. FYI the MPPT controller will be hooked up to 2 12volt 125ah Vmax agm batteries.

Make sure you hook it up with the right polarity. Check it with a voltmeter (DMM) if you have one. (usually the + wire is red or, if black, it's marked with a white stripe) If the adapter you have is not the right one you can either:
  • try again to buy an adapter that does not reverse the polarity, or
  • buy an SAE reverse-polarity adapter. This has SAE on both ends but reverses the polarity. Use this in addition to the one you bought previously and this will reverse it again and make it right.
  • cut the wire, reverse the polarity yourself, and re-join it with some kind of a connector
Hope this helps. You're just trying to match their convention for assigning + or - to male or female plugs.

Thanks a Ton to the both of you! I greatly appreciate the help. I am sure I will be back with more questions as all y parts start to arrive.

It is reversed because sae panels have hot on the male end, and you have the other end.
It should properly connect without any adapters, but make SURE which mc4 end you have positive on connects correctly.

Thanks for that Supervstech. I will double check should be easy + from panel connects to + on MPPT and so forth. I was planning on using a conductivity test to double check each wire.

Thanks for that Supervstech. I will double check should be easy + from panel connects to + on MPPT and so forth. I was planning on using a conductivity test to double check each wire.
I am actually incorrect... the sae connection on panels hot is female, (hmm, solar hot is female..) and matches up with the positive on the male for the connector you ordered. You ALWAYS need to use a meter to VERIFY which connection is hot, but it should match up perfectly.

The warning is so you don’t hook to a battery and have a live male hot connection unknowingly...

Back