diy solar

diy solar

MC4 is this properly connected? How to disconnect

smolsolar

Hi everyone, newbie here..

Recently purchased an HQST (HQST-100D-SPP) 100W solar panel that included MC4 connectors
I also purchased an MC4 to 8mm adapter for my solar generator.

Couple of questions...

1. Does this connection look secure? Seems the tabs are not long enough to "click" into place
mc4.PNG

2. Is this connection waterproof, or do I need to wrap it with something?
3. If I want to disconnect this, I understand I need a tool. I've read some comments that the HQST MC4 connector may not be standard (in the photo it is on the right side) Does it sound like I might need 2 MC4 tools? One HQST/Renogy specific, and one generic?

Thank you!

Standard MC4 connectors will definitely lock together. If you can pull them apart without depressing locking tabs you should replace one of the connectors with the same type as the other. MC4 connectors have seals around the cable and also in the mating parts of the connectors (that red bit in the picture, that you can see it says the connectors are not compatible). They are water resistant, no need to wrap them but they are intended to be kept out of the weather, stashed under the panels etc.

Last edited:
Standard MC4 connectors will definitely lock together. If you can pull them apart without depressing locking tabs you should replace one of the connectors with the same type as the other. MC4 connectors have seals around the cable and also in the mating parts of the connectors (that red bit in the picture). They are water resistant, no need to wrap them but they are intended to be kept out of the weather, stashed under the panels etc.

Thanks! I tried again with a bit more pressure and some "wiggling". Slowly connected fully I believe...no satisfying click. not sure I would be able to disconnect them later :)

20200606_155343.jpg

Back