diy solar

diy solar

MC4 Questions

OK, good you drew a diagram but TBH that's worse than even I could manage. Space it out a bit more so what is going on, particularly at the panels end, can be clearly seen.

Maybe someone else would be willing to make a diagnosis based on what you've posted.

While I need two hands to count the number of MC4 connectors I've made, I still feel like a beginner. So I'm throwing out suggestions based on the confusion I was operating under when I made my connectors.

Look at the inside of each MC4 connector. Does the silver lead come to the same point in each connector of the same type (male/female)? As I recall, there was a subtle click when the lead reached the final insertion point.

Do you have the right male/female lead in the right male/female connector.

I'll go back to my original suggestion to check continuity. If you have no continuity then there is no hope that the wire will ever work as-is.

I need my hands and feet to count the number of connections but almost two hands for the number of polarity mistakes.
?

I watched a guy on YouTube (RV With Tito) create an MC4 connector and it looked sooooo easy. I really needed the 10 page instruction sheet with 8x10 color glossy photos (with writing on the back) every other page for it to make sense. Reality sucks.

Can you join multiple solar panel extension cables together?
As @gnubie says, within reason. To me the goal would be to eliminate as many connections as possible. There are layout and connection schemes that can reduce the number of connections especially with series strings.

Thank you so much everyone! I figured it out. It was bad crimping. Im buying a legit crimper. I was ruining the pins with the crimp so I think it wasn’t engaging all the way. I also had male pins in female Mc4’s ??‍♂️. I I could get some voltage when I messed with it a bit. All I did was connect the crimped end to the branch rather than the non crimped end and then I wouldn’t get a voltage.

I watched a guy on YouTube (RV With Tito) create an MC4 connector and it looked sooooo easy. I really needed the 10 page instruction sheet with 8x10 color glossy photos (with writing on the back) every other page for it to make sense. Reality sucks.

lol. “And we were all running around screaming kill kill”

I made up a 200W portable system for boon docking with our small camp trailer and at first I was impressed with the MC4 connectors and used these for connections between panels and extension cables to the MPPT controller in the trailer. However initial favorable impression was short lived after traveling several months from Montana to Alaska (summer of 2019) and then down to Quartzite, AZ in January for a few months. The MC4 cables became increasingly difficult to pull apart due to road grime/grit build up. I now use MC4/SAE pigtails on the separate panels and SAE/SAE cables from panels to MPPT controller SAE outside mounted connection point on the trailer. In my opinion SAE connectors work much better for portable use. I think MC4 connector are better suited to permanent installations.

I think MC4 connector are better suited to permanent installations.

That’s the irony of it. Not a bad connector for permanent situation, but for permanent you might as well direct crimp for simplicity.

If i was disconnecting my panels regularly, i would use Deutsch DPT connectors.

Hi,
I'm installing six panels on my roof.
Should the panel cables be put in conduit or pipe?
I live in Los Angeles - it's hot.

Thanks!!

That’s the irony of it. Not a bad connector for permanent situation, but for permanent you might as well direct crimp for simplicity.

If i was disconnecting my panels regularly, i would use Deutsch DPT connectors.
I agree on the direct crimp for permanent instalations and would seal weather exposed connection with liquid tape.

would seal weather exposed connection with liquid tape.
Even better would be a waterproof junction box. A junction box also makes a nice transition from exterior wires to interior conduit. My local building authority requires any high voltsge DC conductors be in metal conduit with warning labels.

Thank you so much everyone! I figured it out. It was bad crimping. Im buying a legit crimper. I was ruining the pins with the crimp so I think it wasn’t engaging all the way. I also had male pins in female Mc4’s ??‍♂️. I I could get some voltage when I messed with it a bit. All I did was connect the crimped end to the branch rather than the non crimped end and then I wouldn’t get a voltage.
Duh!

Back