diy solar

diy solar

Mc4 replacement

Bluedog225

Texas
Good morning,

I’ve got a bunch of used panels I plan to install in the fall. About 60. Various brands.

Various conditions. I will test and sort this summer. Roof mount. With rapid shut down.

I’d like to replace all the mc4 connectors to ensure UL listed, properly crimped, dielectric grease, compatibility, etc.

Does it make sense to do this? What is my best source for quality connectors?

Any mc4 details or specs I need?

Many thanks!

Keep an eye on the "IP" rating as you shop.

I opted to wire directly into the junction box on each panel, totally eliminating any external connections and associated issues.
Directly wiring 60 panels on a roof would not be a fun job.

I got some used panels a while back with the stupid barrel connectors on them, and switched them all over to MC4's.

My 2¢ would be to get name brand ones from a "real" company, and get a crimper specifically for the pins in the MC4s. I wasted a good bit of time trying to use cheap ones, and ended up getting a better brand, and a purpose-built crimping die.

I’ve heard and read they do fail. And are sometimes low quality. And sometimes mismatched therefore failing to keep the water out.

I’ve heard and read they do fail. And are sometimes low quality. And sometimes mismatched therefore failing to keep the water out.
Shouldn't you position them where no water falls?
Mine are all tucked and tie wrapped up under the panels, 100% dry.
Quite frankly, my crimps are more likely to fail than corrosion, once you have a working connection leave it alone.

Just because water can’t drip on them when it rains, doesn’t mean moisture and heat/freeze cycles can ruin a cheap connector.

Back