diy solar

diy solar

MC4 vs PowerPole Crimpers?

Lt.Dan

Solar Wizard
Anybody know if my MC4 crimpers will work on powerpole connectors? Looking at pictures, the jaws look almost identical. Can anyone confirm this and prevent me from buying ANOTHER tool?

Going the other way, I needed an MC4 crimper and already had a few other ratcheting crimpers. The MC4 crimps by themselves are hard to come by, so I didn't want to have any wasted crimps. I bought a die for one of my existing ratchet crimpers. That worked out great and I didn't have to add another crimper to my toolbox.

I highly doubt it.

Give PowerWerx a call and ask them.
And you would be wrong. My German made Staubli PV-CZM-32.6020 MC4 crimper crimps 15-30-45A power poles just fine. It takes a little more care to line them up. The shape of the crimping part of the die is the same as A-PP.

I have only seen the 50A and larger size Anderson connectors, and they are tube, like a lug. If the smaller size PP connectors are split end like the MC4 ends, I don’t see why not. I use my mc4 crimper for several types of crimp connectors.

I use this for both MC4 Cables for 10 AWG, and have crimped 14 AWG, 12 AWG and 10 AWG wire onto 45 amp Anderson PowerPole Connectors. For my Solar PV cable (4703) with the thick insulation, the 10 AWG crimped well with Powerpoles, but the insulation was to thick to fit into the PowerPole itself. For that 4703 PV cable, 12 AWG is the thickest I can get in the 45 amp Powerpoles. Both the MC4 and 45 Amp and under Anderson PowerPole I have used are "split end." I've even used this tool to crimp Open End Crimps, also "split end" if the wires are thick enough.

1632100015635.png

For the 50 AMP Anderson Powerpole, I crimp that like a lug with the appropriate sized die, in my case 8 AWG or 6 AWG.

I have only seen the 50A and larger size Anderson connectors, and they are tube, like a lug. If the smaller size PP connectors are split end like the MC4 ends, I don’t see why not. I use my mc4 crimper for several types of crimp connectors.
Tbe crimper for SB50/PP75A and larger puts one big divot in the tube. I'm going to try my hexagonal hydraulic crimper to crimp my PP120A to 4AWG cables. I can't picture a reason it won't work, but i can't say for sure until I do it.

I highly doubt it.

Give PowerWerx a call and ask them.
I emailed them and they assured me they are different, with a different crimp profile.

I'm going to order a small set of 45 amp powerpole connectors and give it a shot though, at worst, I waste a couple of them because they dont fit in the housing?

I emailed them and they assured me they are different, with a different crimp profile.

I'm going to order a small set of 45 amp powerpole connectors and give it a shot though, at worst, I waste a couple of them because they dont fit in the housing?
I have done 30A & 45A A/PP, 10AWG, 12AWG, and smaller wire. I crimped every one with my fancy German MC4 crimpers. They all fit i n the housings and hold strongly. If it is a different profile, then it is damn close. The only thing missing is the little block that holds the nose of the PPs. So it takes a little more care to crimp them.

This is what I use, because I already have them. Mine are for 14-12-10AWG wire.
https://www.titansolarsupply.com/staubli-multi-contact-mc4-crimp-tool-pv-czm-22100/

I'm sure your MC4 crimpers that work with 10 AWG and 12 AWG MC4 cables will work with PowerPoles. There's a few connectors I did ruin while learning how to crimp the PowerPoles.

I also don't doubt that the PowerWerx tool has a better proper tool for the job.

Either way, I'd like to hear how this goes.

I'm ordering a set. Will report back.
I just crimped some spade terminals on some 16AGW wire. They were the style that has two open "U"s on each. I used the 14AWG position on my MC4 crimpers. I had to crimp each one in two places. They made perfect crimps on them.They rolled the sides over the top. At the other end of the wire I crimped on a set of A/PPs.

61iw4V7zI0L._SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:
I tried it last night, and it works great!

I'm not very smart apparently. Because I didn't get a picture of the actual crimp itself, but I was able to clamp the connector (as seen in the pics below) in a vice and really pull hard without anything happening.

Looks like I dont have to buy a new tool!

20210928_150517.jpg

Back