diy solar

diy solar

Meaning of "PV Array MPPT Voltage Range"

GrumpyOldRetiree

I'm getting ready to hook up solar panels to my MPP Solar PIP 1012LV-MS AIO.

The following specs are listed in the pdf I downloaded:
Max. PV Array Open Circuit Voltage = 102Vdc
PV Array MPPT Voltage Range = 15~80Vdc

I'm a little confused about the MPPT Voltage Range...

Does this mean that if I put enough panels in series to get the array voltage > 80Vdc (but less then 102Vdc) that the MPPT mechanism will cease to function?

Or that any array voltage over 80Vdc will be "wasted"?

Or...does it mean something else?

I am aware of of the meaning of panel open circuit voltage and the need to "de-rate" the array size to accommodate cold weather, so please skip any explanations of these factors unless they directly relate to the question at hand.

I have googled this subject and only found vague descriptions of the term.

The maximum is the maximum that should never be exceeded even on the coldest day. You have done that calculation. The range is the minimum before the controller will start up. The top of the range may be the point that no additional power is produced. This is sometimes called clipping but the controller should continue to function. Clipping is often considered wasted energy.

I'm getting ready to hook up solar panels to my MPP Solar PIP 1012LV-MS AIO.

The following specs are listed in the pdf I downloaded:
Max. PV Array Open Circuit Voltage = 102Vdc

Max voltage, hard rule, do not exceed and temp coefficient is to be factored in. Exceed it and you most likely will see the SCC fail.

PV Array MPPT Voltage Range = 15~80Vdc

Range the SCC manufacturer wants you to run. The algorithm is for this range to find maximum power point.

I'm a little confused about the MPPT Voltage Range...

Does this mean that if I put enough panels in series to get the array voltage > 80Vdc (but less then 102Vdc) that the MPPT mechanism will cease to function?

It will function. Whether the algorithm finds maximum power point I can't say.

Or that any array voltage over 80Vdc will be "wasted"?

It's possible it could clip yield.

Back