diy solar

diy solar

measure power consumption

Elmwoodie

Hi all,
Whats recommended for measuring AC and DC loads?
I dont see Will's device listed here. Will a clamp meter do it?
I would like to test my 12V DC devices and AC devices around the house (including my car's block heater).

Thanks,
Elmwoodie

The CL380 can measure both AC and DC currents by selecting the appropriate mode and wrapping the clamp around one wire.

You'll need something like this:

to conveniently measure AC current.
I made a line splitter last week. I used an old extension cord that had been damaged. All I had to do was remove some of the insulation, cut out a longer piece of wire from the head, wrap it 10x around a small jar, and splice it back on to the cord. The 10x wrap is to amplify the current, so it's easier to read small loads, especially considering my fluke only goes out one decimal place, but the x10 coil makes it accurate down to two decimals.

Attachments

• 20210209_123259.jpg
    20210209_123259.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 11
I got a fluke amp clamp, and love it. Make sure it can also read DC CURRENT. A lot of the ones on Amazon read DC voltage but not current.

@Will Prowse has one of those listed on his site. He also needs to check his links. Several of the things he links to are no longer available (In tools, the tuffiom power supply, and in wires connectors the UL listed ring terminals). I suspect more than just that, those are the ones I remember, though.

@Will Prowse has one of those listed on his site. He also needs to check his links. Several of the things he links to are no longer available (In tools, the tuffiom power supply, and in wires connectors the UL listed ring terminals). I suspect more than just that, those are the ones I remember, though.
Will update those. Just updated the cable cutters and some other things. It can be hard to keep up with them, but I will update them now

“Administrative assistant.” ??

Minion.

9725166177_ef846faea5_b-1024x512.jpg

I am updating the website every day lately. Let me know if you see anything else wrong. I spent the last hour swapping out links and updating various pages. Looks good now.
Thanks Will!
Although my PV activity grinding to a halt at moment due to the frigid temperatures!
Turning my focus to cold weather topics:
PV direct to load (no cold battery) in garage.
Is there such a thing as a DC block heater for my car?
Would my car benefit from low temp protection?
Car and solar battery care in this weather? Or maybe a car battery warmer in line with my block heater. And maybe a trickle charger?
And how can I afford a battery with integrated warmer?
Maybe a home built battery enclosure with small DC heater.
And then will it work in heat of summer or do I need to remove from enclosure?
And I gotta hurry up on my solar air heater project!

Maybe we need an episode from the harsh north this winter? ?

Elmwoodie

Most modern vehicles don't need block heaters. My 2017 F-350 diesel truck has a block heater, but I have yet to use it. It has started fine down to about -10° F, the lowest I've driven it so far. The block heater helps to bring the engine up to temp much faster, plus you get cabin heat quicker too. I have rapid supplemental heat in mine (OEM feature), so I get some heat right away.

Same thing with battery heaters. The lead acid batteries will operate below zero, just make sure they are well charged.

Most modern vehicles don't need block heaters. My 2017 F-350 diesel truck has a block heater, but I have yet to use it. It has started fine down to about -10° F, the lowest I've driven it so far. The block heater helps to bring the engine up to temp much faster, plus you get cabin heat quicker too. I have rapid supplemental heat in mine (OEM feature), so I get some heat right away.

Same thing with battery heaters. The lead acid batteries will operate below zero, just make sure they are well charged.
-10f? I wish. Don't forget to cover your tomato plants at night! Try -45c. Block heaters are mandatory not optional equipment. https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/mb-38_metric_e.html

Back