diy solar

diy solar

Medical Alert Recommendation

svetz

Works in theory! Practice? That's something else
I just started looking into a "wearable" for my mother-in-law... a ring/watch/pendant/? ... something she'll actually keep on her and through her cell phone can contact us. Nice (need?) to haves might be "fall detection", heart rate, O2 sensor, BP. The watches look pretty bulky, not sure she'd wear it day in/out.

Ideally it's something affordable without a monthly service fee. Anyone have any experience as to what look for or recommendations?
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Device/ServiceOne time CostMonthly CostProsCons
Alexa$30$0
  • Nothing to wear
  • Simple to use, Just call out
  • No Batteries/recharging
  • Must be able to speak clearly/loudly (Stroke?)
  • O2: No
  • BP/Heart: No
  • Fall Detection: No
  • Other: needs WiFi, bluetooth Cellphone
Life Alert$100$20 to $50Pendent
  • Must be worn/within reach
  • Other: Needs WiFi
GreatCall$50$15
  • Watch
  • Requires recharging
  • Other: needs WiFi, bluetooth, Cellphone
Medical Guardian$180$30 to $80
  • Watch
  • Requires recharging
  • Fall Detection: Yes
  • Other: needs bluetooth, Cellphone
Apple Watch 5$380$0Watch
  • Requires recharging
  • BP/Heart: Yes
  • Other: Needs Apple iPhone or iPad
Freedom Guardian$40$50Watch
  • Requires recharging
  • Other:
Samsung Galaxy$280$0Cellphone Watch
  • works from anywhere
  • Requires recharging, but has good battery life
  • Other:
Care Predict$450$0Watch
Two-way Audio
Supposedly can tell if they're eating,
haven't gotten out of bed,
sleeping and how well
  • works from anywhere
  • Requires recharging, but has good battery life
  • Other:

Last edited:
My dad has Life Alert. I believe it is a necklace/pendant that he wears, when he remembers to wear it. They're pretty good about calling me when the home system can't sync up with them. It uses his WiFi I believe. I don't know what the cost is.

I'll setup a table in the OP to list systems, the costs, and any pros/cons you all come up with.

Life Alert: $50/month subscription + $100 setup fee

Not crazy about life alert, my mom had one and when she slipped in the shower and couldn't get up...naturally she wasn't wearing it. Probably a decent system, but I'd have trouble with this one.

What do you all think about Alexa? You can call out "Alexa call Svetz"... and it'll bluetooth call via her cellphone to mine.

I've also seen things like Samsung's SmartThings IoT use the motion sensors to send an SMS based on usual activity (e.g., parent goes to the bathroom at 3 AM, but doesn't return to bed or other motion detected in 20 min).

I spoke the local PD and they said if you call of those "emergency devices" it take 5 mins or longer for them to contact the local PD and send dispatch help.
It is always faster to get help if you call 911 directly, is that the Chief said bluntly,

Maybe someone who is has experience in the area can comment on the above.

I'm still open to ideas. In the meantime, since they were so cheap with the Christmas sales, we got her an echo for her bedroom and and echo show for the living room (will set that up so we can "drop-in" if she's not answering the phone to at least get a picture of her kitchen/porch).
Still working at stuff at my mother-in-law's new house (if you didn't read the insulation or roofing threads the coal company condemned her valley and she's forced to move from where she's lived the last 60 years). I put the anti-slip stuff on the tile floors in the kitchen/bathroom. They're better, but not as anti-slip as I'd like. Previously if I did a Chubby Checker's style twist on dry floors the feet would slip an inch. Now they hold tight. Wet I'd practically fall over, now I spin 3 or 4 inches.

Last edited:
I'm still open to ideas. In the meantime, since they were so cheap with the Christmas sales, we got her an echo for her bedroom and and echo show for the living room (will set that up so we can "drop-in" if she's not answering the phone to at least get a picture of her kitchen/porch).
Still working at stuff at my mother-in-law's new house (if you didn't read the insulation or roofing threads the coal company condemned her valley and she's forced to move from where she's lived the last 60 years). I put the anti-slip stuff on the tile floors in the kitchen/bathroom. They're better, but not as anti-slip as I'd like. Previously if I did a Chubby Checker's style twist on dry floors the feet would slip an inch. Now they hold tight. Wet I'd practically fall over, now I spin 3 or 4 inches.
Oh, I am sorry about your MIL's forced move.
iPhone are waterproof, and you can set them up so if you press the power button 3 times it calls out a set phone number like 911 etc.
The PD demonstrated that to us and that is something I need to do with my mother and her 2 older neighbors.

I suggested wearing the phone around the neck but it is heavy.

Back