diy solar

diy solar

Medical Batteries - What I have seen LIFEPO4

sshibly

Solar Enthusiast
I am newbie to Li Batts, I have been reading what ever I can get my hands on.

I ordered 8x 280Ah cell and waiting on them to arrive.

I bought a few used and 16 new little cells to play with.

One thing that caught my eye was how online retailers of USED Li batteries talk about medical batteries being pampered uber Prinzessin(s).

Out of college, for 20 years plus I have worked in some of the mentionable hospitals around the country.

Most batteries are in mobile units (carts) as primary source of power or as backup for devices (PICU, NICU, take your pic of SHTF areas).

Charging a battery is the LAST thing on most healthcare professional's mind.

Most of the Battery powered items have an ALARM when the level reaches "I need charge" and then the ALARM changes to more like a rabid animal that is bleeding out when the battery level reaches "I am going to die".

That machine with critically low battery gets shoved into a room so the dying howl of the machine does not bother anyone.

That machine might stay there till next time someone needs an extra one possible.

Yes, some units might SIT in their original boxes in a warehouse till they are swapped out but that is rare.

Most medical carts in hospital (open 24 hrs) get cycled many times a day, so does the machine that is tied to them. seldom a medical professional will take the time to plug everything back in after they wheel you back from MRI.

My experience has been that most Li cells in hospitals have a life of an over worked MULE in a Brazilian open pit mine but in a very nice climate controlled environment.

:p

One thing that caught my eye was how online retailers of USED Li batteries talk about medical batteries being pampered uber Prinzessin(s).

Out of college, for 20 years plus I have worked in some of the mentionable hospitals around the country.

Most batteries are in mobile units (carts) as primary source of power or as backup for devices (PICU, NICU, take your pic of SHTF areas).

Most of the Battery powered items have an ALARM when the level reaches "I need charge" and then the ALARM changes to more like a rabid animal that is bleeding out when the battery level reaches "I am going to die".

That machine with critically low battery gets shoved into a room so the dying howl of the machine does not bother anyone.

That machine might stay there till next time someone needs an extra one possible.

Yes, some units might SIT in their original boxes in a warehouse till they are swapped out but that is rare.

Most medical carts in hospital (open 24 hrs) get cycled many times a day, so does the machine that is tied to them. seldom a medical professional will take the time to plug everything back in after they wheel you back from MRI.

My experience has been that most Li cells in hospitals have a life of an over worked MULE in a Brazilian open pit mine but in a very nice climate controlled environment.

I have two RT Valence batteries that most likely came out of medical carts and they are still going strong.

I have two RT Valence batteries that most likely came out of medical carts and they are still going strong.
Tell us more pls, how what volts did you get them at? how do you use/charge them? length of ownership?

I don't know what healthcare system you worked in, but the one I worked for (28+ years) would have fired anyone who treated critical equipment like you describe.

I don't know what healthcare system you worked in, but the one I worked for (28+ years) would have fired anyone who treated critical equipment like you describe.
I hear you, never seen anyone get fired for not charging... Did see a director get fired for staff not following protocol for disclosure and intake process.

Most of the equipment is covered under a support/maintenance/calibration contract, and there is a schedule for them to come and check the machines out, including the batteries. I wonder if some of the batteries that get sold on the second life market is from maintenance companies, or if non-profit hospitals just replace fleets of these carts on a schedule that is independent of the maintenance schedule.

I hear you, never seen anyone get fired for not charging... Did see a director get fired for staff not following protocol for disclosure and intake process.
If a bad patient outcome is the result of not following proper equipment procedures and Biomed. determines there was nothing wrong with the equipment other than it not being charged, you better believe someone is going to get fired. This stuff IS being reported...isn't it?

Tell us more pls, how what volts did you get them at? how do you use/charge them? length of ownership?
I already have posted everything about the batteries I have and I really don't want to go back through my stuff to properly answer your questions. I am sure if you search for Valance RT or maybe Valence U1-12RT you will find my posts. If you can't find it then let me know.

Back