diy solar

diy solar

Megarevo 8K Firmware Update

No, I have them on the inverter grid input wires as I'm only interested in whats going on in the solar subpanel.
Hmm. Hey what does the solar assistant graph look like. I turned on “home load” and it has the blue graph that appears to be what the CT’s are measuring. It’s possible they mislabeled the CT’s and had you install them backwards.

That doesn't look right. If I compare mine when my load is pulling from grid (I assume that's what's happening at about 17:00 - 23:00 in your graph) the grid is below zero. I'd try swapping direction on the CT's to see if that fixes the export issue. It might be detecting some power coming from grid, give it a bit of power, then it sees more power coming from grid, until it just hits 8kw feeding the grid and thinks that you're pulling 8kw from the grid. Just a guess but it's an educated one. Do you charge from the grid during that 17:00 - 23:00 time period? Interesting that red is 3-3.5kw and load is less than 1kw.

In my graph when blue is flatlined I'm charging the battery from the grid. Hence red being more than load.
1677702561238.png

That doesn't look right. If I compare mine when my load is pulling from grid (I assume that's what's happening at about 17:00 - 23:00 in your graph) the grid is below zero. I'd try swapping direction on the CT's to see if that fixes the export issue. It might be detecting some power coming from grid, give it a bit of power, then it sees more power coming from grid, until it just hits 8kw feeding the grid and thinks that you're pulling 8kw from the grid. Just a guess but it's an educated one. Do you charge from the grid during that 17:00 - 23:00 time period? Interesting that red is 3-3.5kw and load is less than 1kw.

In my graph when blue is flatlined I'm charging the battery from the grid. Hence red being more than load.
View attachment 137468
That is interesting....but I do have the arrows pointing towards the input of the grid wires.

View attachment 137468
1677704022983.png
Seven day same ole graph plus or minus solar output.

View attachment 137468

Plus you can see I have only used the grid. If the CT's were backward I would show that I exported TO the grid.

1677704288001.png

Plus you can see I have only used the grid. If the CT's were backward I would show that I exported TO the grid.

View attachment 137473
I think we shouldn't discount the possibility Megarevo has it backwards in software. I agree based on your chart it's correct the way you have it wired. Take a look at mine though, shows I'm exporting a bunch of power. When in fact my electricity meter shows I'm exporting ~2kwh a day. Looks like the columns are swapped. I suspect Solar Assistant is just grabbing it from the inverter as-labeled so it shows wrong just like the inverter is using it wrong. Hence me installing the CT's backwards which makes it work right but I never noticed the chart was backwards!

1677707980222.png

Running well with grid on, solar on, batteries on...and then I heard the inverter fans speed up and I looked at solar assistant to see everything dumping into the grid and a load of over 10kw!! I cutoff the batteries to spare them, plus the wife was on her office pc and a con call, and the UPS backup was failing so I could not shut it all down. Then while I'm waiting for her, it stopped dumping to the grid as shown below. A truly SHTF morning!!

1677859191628.jpeg

Running well with grid on, solar on, batteries on...and then I heard the inverter fans speed up and I looked at solar assistant to see everything dumping into the grid and a load of over 10kw!! I cutoff the batteries to spare them, plus the wife was on her office pc and a con call, and the UPS backup was failing so I could not shut it all down. Then while I'm waiting for her, it stopped dumping to the grid as shown below. A truly SHTF morning!!

View attachment 137728

what I see is that "load power" was showing about 11,500 watts.
On top of that you were exporting 5,500 watts to the grid. That would mean a total of 16,000 watts coming of your inverter which is double it's rating of 8,000 watts.
That is impossible

Something doesn't add up in your picture..

what I see is that "load power" was showing about 11,500 watts.
On top of that you were exporting 5,500 watts to the grid. That would mean a total of 16,000 watts coming of your inverter which is double it's rating of 8,000 watts.
That is impossible

Something doesn't add up in your picture..
Agreed. If that were a `Real load' it would have tripped the 40 amp breaker.

I killed the batteries at that point. I thought about it, then decided to cut the batteries back on and kill the grid breaker. When I cut the batteries on, I got a buzzing and then the red alarm light on the eg4 lifepower, same with eg4 LL. So, I'm at square one with the batteries off and on grid til lunchtime and I? can reboot the inverter.

Agreed. If that were a `Real load' it would have tripped the 40 amp breaker.
agreed!
Could it be you have your CT's reversed ?
What direction are your arrows pointing to ?
towards grid or towards inverter?

I killed the batteries at that point. I thought about it, then decided to cut the batteries back on and kill the grid breaker. When I cut the batteries on, I got a buzzing and then the red alarm light on the eg4 lifepower, same with eg4 LL. So, I'm at square one with the batteries off and on grid til lunchtime and I? can reboot the inverter.
could be the in-rush current when you switched them on.
Do you have a pre-charge resistor in your setup ?

agreed!
Could it be you have your CT's reversed ?
What direction are your arrows pointing to ?
towards grid or towards inverter?

could be the in-rush current when you switched them on.
Do you have a pre-charge resistor in your setup ?
1. Yes, CT's pointing toward grid wire entry into inverter.
2. The EG4 lifepower batt has the internal resistor. I always use that batt to startup. In the state it was in, it needed a reboot and all is well now. That is until next time it decides to dump into the grid.

Found something interesting from the ver 1,4 manual and would like to try the firmware making the Advanced choice available. Does anyone have this available?

11.2 Advanced Mode Setting
The Advanced Mode Settings page can be accessed through the following steps on the screen:
USER->1. SETUP->PASSORD CHECK->16.ADVAN SET

11.2.1 Setting
Interface Description
This interface displays advanced mode settings.
1. ->Inverter working mode setting.
2. ->Inverter related function control. See 12.2.3 Advan Ctrl for
details.
3.->Time of use setting. See 12.2.4 Time of use for details.
4.->The CT will detect power flowing back to the grid and Limit the
grid output according to the set value.
5.->Maximum power entering household power grid.

11.2.2 Work Mode
Interface Description
1.->Disable advanced mode.
--ADVAN SET--
-- >1.Mode Set
2.Advan Ctrl
3.TOU Set
4.CT Limit
5.Grid Power
--MODE SET--
-- > 1.Disable
2.Sell First
3.Limit Grid
4.Zero Export

Well, bad news. Parallel doesn't work on this latest firmware. Well, it does function and share the load, but the "reporting" is all done from the master, unlike the previous versions which kept settings separate.

What this means is that on the old version, you can set things like charge voltage, current, etc independently. When they switched to the new firmware, they "simplified" things and locked the settings of the slave, and everything is controlled by the master, which is nice so you only have to make changes on one inverter.

The problem, however, is that the master is still only reporting 8k capacity and 8k load percentages. Due to crappy weather, I haven't really loaded the system so that I didn't drain batteries too deeply. Well today the weather is perfect, not a cloud in the sky, over 10K of generation so far this morning. I plugged in the car and saw the load spike to over 100%. Strange I thought. Then everything shut off. I reset the inverter, checked again, same problem.

The inverters are sharing the load, but the master is turning everything off once 8k total output is reached. FAIL. Back to old reliable firmware :(

Well, bad news. Parallel doesn't work on this latest firmware. Well, it does function and share the load, but the "reporting" is all done from the master, unlike the previous versions which kept settings separate.

What this means is that on the old version, you can set things like charge voltage, current, etc independently. When they switched to the new firmware, they "simplified" things and locked the settings of the slave, and everything is controlled by the master, which is nice so you only have to make changes on one inverter.

The problem, however, is that the master is still only reporting 8k capacity and 8k load percentages. Due to crappy weather, I haven't really loaded the system so that I didn't drain batteries too deeply. Well today the weather is perfect, not a cloud in the sky, over 10K of generation so far this morning. I plugged in the car and saw the load spike to over 100%. Strange I thought. Then everything shut off. I reset the inverter, checked again, same problem.

The inverters are sharing the load, but the master is turning everything off once 8k total output is reached. FAIL. Back to old reliable firmware :(
Well that seems like quite the oversight. Do you have a contact to report the bug to? I know they will want access to your inverter instead of spending the time to setup their own lab to troubleshoot it which is annoying.

I don't really have a good communication channel. Luckily, @fromport has had some communication success and has been essential in helping to get my system to where it is today.

I just flashed back to the original parallel firmware with DSP 2.04.11 and everything is working as expected.

1. Yes, CT's pointing toward grid wire entry into inverter.
Like this right (sorry non native english speaker and I feel I could interpret your sentence in 2 ways and want to make sure)
Screenshot from 2023-03-04 09-15-16.png

The arrow on the CT points to the power grid

2. The EG4 lifepower batt has the internal resistor. I always use that batt to startup. In the state it was in, it needed a reboot and all is well now. That is until next time it decides to dump into the grid.
It is weird, un-explainable why i even gets in such a weird state.

First the sudden dumping of full power and 2nd the state it is in after disconnecting the batteries.
Found something interesting from the ver 1,4 manual and would like to try the firmware making the Advanced choice available. Does anyone have this available?

11.2 Advanced Mode Setting
The Advanced Mode Settings page can be accessed through the following steps on the screen:
USER->1. SETUP->PASSORD CHECK->16.ADVAN SET

11.2.1 Setting
Interface Description
This interface displays advanced mode settings.
1. ->Inverter working mode setting.
2. ->Inverter related function control. See 12.2.3 Advan Ctrl for
details.
3.->Time of use setting. See 12.2.4 Time of use for details.
4.->The CT will detect power flowing back to the grid and Limit the
grid output according to the set value.
5.->Maximum power entering household power grid.

11.2.2 Work Mode
Interface Description
1.->Disable advanced mode.
--ADVAN SET--
-- >1.Mode Set
2.Advan Ctrl
3.TOU Set
4.CT Limit
5.Grid Power
--MODE SET--
-- > 1.Disable
2.Sell First
3.Limit Grid
4.Zero Export
I have not had the time recently to do anything.
Not even to install /hookup my 2nd MR with extra batteries which would make me grid-Independent (almost) ;-)

I will contact MR and see if they have a newer version of the software available.

I don't really have a good communication channel. Luckily, @fromport has had some communication success and has been essential in helping to get my system to where it is today.

I just flashed back to the original parallel firmware with DSP 2.04.11 and everything is working as expected.
I will forward your story to them and see if
a) they have a response at all
b) have newer firmware available.

Like this right (sorry non native english speaker and I feel I could interpret your sentence in 2 ways and want to make sure)
View attachment 137889

The arrow on the CT points to the power grid

It is weird, un-explainable why i even gets in such a weird state.

First the sudden dumping of full power and 2nd the state it is in after disconnecting the batteries.

I have not had the time recently to do anything.
Not even to install /hookup my 2nd MR with extra batteries which would make me grid-Independent (almost) ;-)

I will contact MR and see if they have a newer version of the software available.
1. Yes correct according to the diagram.
2. If the new firm has the advanced menu, I would like a copy.
I'm just about to wire the grid to the generator terminals and charge the batteries that way without fear of dumping to the grid.

1. Yes correct according to the diagram.
2. If the new firm has the advanced menu, I would like a copy.
I'm just about to wire the grid to the generator terminals and charge the batteries that way without fear of dumping to the grid.
Turns out that my firmware does NOT have the generator sub menu. Do you know where I can get that version?

Back