diy solar

diy solar

Megarevo RxLNA Discussion

Bit of a breakthrough. Changing GRID-STD to CUSTOM started discharging the batteries. I have a grid over freq. alert so I guess I need to manually update the grid settings.

Update:

Looks like cutom grid freq. was set to 58hz, after I updated this to 60.1, I could hear my furnace getting more power and the batteries started charging again. I switched back to US-CA for now.

Last edited:
Just ran a bunch of tests enabling / disabling features like arc/leak/insulation detection. Every time I reset the solar input, it would climb to ~2KW and then drop to 200 W after a few seconds.

THEN I tried disabling the grid (just by shutting off the breaker pre-inverter) and BOOM she starts working properly.

So its working fine while off grid, but if grid power is available, she's dickered. Battery will not discharge and solar input is severely throttled.

Any suggestions to get it operating properly while on grid? Ideally I don't revert to older firmware but I can try that if necessary.
It looks like it is trying to regulate _something_
double check the CT related settings and how the CT's are connected.
There should be an arrow on it pointing in the right direction , in case of the megarevo away from the unit towards the breakers which is exactly the opposite from eg the enphase envoy ct's

It looks like it is trying to regulate _something_
double check the CT related settings and how the CT's are connected.
There should be an arrow on it pointing in the right direction , in case of the megarevo away from the unit towards the breakers which is exactly the opposite from eg the enphase envoy ct's
I assume we're talking about those black donuts in the APSmart box ? i looked closely at them and not seeing any arrows

Attachments

• PXL_20220807_203238990.jpg
    PXL_20220807_203238990.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 24
I assume we're talking about those black donuts in the APSmart box ? i looked closely at them and not seeing any arrows
Those are not the CT's that came with the megarevo and are also not hooked up to the megarevo inverter itself.
[some search engine time later]
Ahh that is your Rapid Shutdown System [RSS] and has absolutely ZERO to do with your inverter itself.
It is not used in any kind or form by your megarevo!
You probably have optimizers under your panels and these CT's inject a signal on the powerlines that it is okay to open up and start producing.
When for whatever reason the RSS is enabled the signal to the optimizers is disabled and the optimizers shut down (to 1 volt output) and you have no power input to your hybrid inverter

Those are not the CT's that came with the megarevo and are also not hooked up to the megarevo inverter itself.
[some search engine time later]
Ahh that is your Rapid Shutdown System [RSS] and has absolutely ZERO to do with your inverter itself.
It is not used in any kind or form by your megarevo!
You probably have optimizers under your panels and these CT's inject a signal on the powerlines that it is okay to open up and start producing.
When for whatever reason the RSS is enabled the signal to the optimizers is disabled and the optimizers shut down (to 1 volt output) and you have no power input to your hybrid inverter
Interesting thank you for looking into this!

I compared my PV charts to yours and they are quite a bit different. My solar power input has a lot of spikes and dips, where yours is a nice curve with a peak at mid-day as you would expect.

So maybe something is wrong with my configuration from day 1?

Interesting thank you for looking into this!

I compared my PV charts to yours and they are quite a bit different. My solar power input has a lot of spikes and dips, where yours is a nice curve with a peak at mid-day as you would expect.

In the box of my megarevo were 2 small white plastic CT's with a label 1:1000 (or 1000:1 I can't remember atm)
That is what need to be installed to prevent electricity ever flowing back to the grid.
Do you know if whoever installed your inverter hooked those things up in the vincinity of your utility meter and pulled some wire (cat5 ethernet cable) likely to your megarevo?

In the box of my megarevo were 2 small white plastic CT's with a label 1:1000 (or 1000:1 I can't remember atm)
That is what need to be installed to prevent electricity ever flowing back to the grid.
Do you know if whoever installed your inverter hooked those things up in the vincinity of your utility meter and pulled some wire (cat5 ethernet cable) likely to your megarevo?
I have never seen something like that, and there was no ethernet going to the inverter until I added one for the BMS. I will call the installer to double check.

You should at least see the peak in the middle of your day. The graph I sent you from yesterday was a perfect sunny day without any clouds.
This is from the 5th were we had a lot of clouds (but still no rain!)
Screenshot from 2022-08-07 15-02-14.png

vs perfect solar day:
Screenshot from 2022-08-07 15-04-32.png

Can you post a daily power picture from before you started your firmware upgrade?

I don't see why.
But if your solar produces more than is being used, you should be actually feeding back into the grid.
And you do not see that happening, do you?
I have anti reverse enabled which I thought took care of that. I don't really know how to check if there is back feed :/

on the left is array 1 and 2 before upgrade
on the right is after

peak current went from 8a to 0.8a

Attachments

• beforeafter.png
    beforeafter.png
    424.3 KB · Views: 4
This one is from today, where I reset the pre-inverter PV breakers a few times. Each time I would get a brief moment of expected power output (<30s) then back to garbage.

Attachments

• breakers.png
    breakers.png
    40 KB · Views: 1
Currently, if I enable solar input AT ALL, I will draw <10W for about 1 minute then the inverter will RESTART itself. This continues until I shut off the PV breakers.

here you can see the battery stops getting discharged after update. work mode has always been self-consumption

Attachments

• beforeafter2.png
    beforeafter2.png
    94.6 KB · Views: 2
And from today, where I was playing around with settings, disabling grid here and there, etc

Attachments

• today.png
    today.png
    55.8 KB · Views: 5
Back