diy solar

diy solar

Member location?

You are sure putting some time in to have a go at me gnubie !

I'm in Cairns and Ergon supplies us .
Right now my grid voltage is 245 V .
Yesterday it was 246V
"Ergon" Note: On this webpage when we use the term '240 volts' we mean 240 volts (+/-6%), and when we use the term '230 volts' we mean 230 volts (+10/-6%).
I don't think we will see much change here for some time.

One thing that Ergon are very good at is not publicising what they are doing .
I watch it often and have never seen a change so there is more to it than just the publicity
Chum.

Last edited:
The information presented is readily available on the Ergon and Energex web sites. All I did there was identify incorrect information, and posted actual correct official information, along with a reference to it should people wish to read further. If you have read anything more into that I'm afraid I can't help you there.

Perhaps you should read the information. You may come to the understanding that Queensland has already transitioned to the 230v standard, but the standard has sufficient leeway to make it entirely possible that no actual change to local supply voltages even occurred.

*edit*
In relation to your statement that Ergon does not publicise what it is doing, I guess you don't read that nice fold out card that is sent with paper eletricity bills were Ergon goes into detail in exactly what programmes they are undertaking along with various plans and suggestions on how to save electricity etc. The same thing is available via the web site if you have elected to receive your bill via email. If you have elected to receive via email you will also, by default, be on the mailing list for their email equiv. of that printed fold out card. In addition Ergon sends out letters to people in areas affected by changes advising them of the change. This includes trials and pilot programmes.

I'm not sure how Ergon (now merged with Energex) could be more informative. Perhaps you can offer some suggestions?

Last edited:
Did you try touching on part of the screen that has no reaction, then drag your finger over the thing you want to hover?

Ok, just tried something that may work. I assume you have a keyboard? Touch the screen just in front of, but not on, the Like button on the bottom of a user's post. Then use the TAB key. You'll advance to Like, then to Reply, then to Report, and the next TAB will take you to "hover" over the next user icon/avatar. The TAB key advances you thru the page stopping at each and every clickable item.

Ok, just tried something that may work. I assume you have a keyboard? Touch the screen just in front of, but not on, the Like button on the bottom of a user's post. Then use the TAB key. You'll advance to Like, then to Reply, then to Report, and the next TAB will take you to "hover" over the next user icon/avatar. The TAB key advances you thru the page stopping at each and every clickable item.
I don’t use a keyboard often.
I will try this next time I do.

Using a computer would solve this. I get the world's fascination with having a mini computer in your phone but some operations just call for a keyboard and mouse. As cheap as they are anymore..... You can pick THIS up for $420. I suggest adding some RAM though. It comes with 4gb. I put in 2x8gb and it runs like a dream now. It has a touch screen and touchpad and hovering is no issue. It's just so hard to pinpoint where a finger press goes on a cell phone screen that I just quit trying. My fingers are proportionately as fat as the rest of me and I just can't be that precise. I was really dumb to not order it with the RAM because buying the chips and doing it myself probably cost me maybe 30% more than had I just ordered 16gb when I bought it.

I don’t use a keyboard often.
I will try this next time I do.
I just remembered I had an Android tablet, so I tried it. If there is an input text field, like you are entering a username, one light touch to the input area will bring up a soft keyboard. Unfortunately, mine doesn't have a TAB key. Nor alt or control. Oh well.

BUT, if I tap once lightly on the user's avatar, it brings up the exact same info as if you hovered a mouse over it. And if you press-and-hold on the Like button, it brings up the cast of emoticons, whereas if you just touch it once lightly, you just get a plain ol' like.

I just remembered I had an Android tablet, so I tried it. If there is an input text field, like you are entering a username, one light touch to the input area will bring up a soft keyboard. Unfortunately, mine doesn't have a TAB key. Nor alt or control. Oh well.

BUT, if I tap once lightly on the user's avatar, it brings up the exact same info as if you hovered a mouse over it. And if you press-and-hold on the Like button, it brings up the cast of emoticons, whereas if you just touch it once lightly, you just get a plain ol' like.
Yup, this works.

Actually, residential US households are primarily split-phase (aka single-phase three-wire; a center tap on a 240V transformer gives two 120v legs or 240V). So, we're really single phase, 120V, 240V, split-phase. Confuses everyone.

The reason you see 110v appliances is because manufactures advertise them that way so customers know that should they happen to not be seeing 120v at their residence the appliance will still work (those appliances still work at 120v too)
110, 115, 120 volts AC I'm not going to quibble over a few volts, but are you trying to tell me that the Europeans just generalize and refer to everything as 220, even their standard 110 volt outlets and appliances, or, do they not use 110 volt outlets and appliances?

There aren't any standard 110 v applicances in 230/240/220v land. There are low power sockets in some bathrooms for electric shavers. The UK has a split 110v standard for power tools on construction sites, its 50v above and below ground so that you can't get shocked by it but that's it.

If we need more power than a standard 230v in Australia we can get a two phase supply in a similar concept to your standard dual 110v, but usually people would just get a 3 phase supply as that is already available pretty much everywhere. LV wires on the poles are 3 phase 415v + centre neutral so you'll usually see 4 wires on the LV.

110, 115, 120 volts AC I'm not going to quibble over a few volts, but are you trying to tell me that the Europeans just generalize and refer to everything as 220, even their standard 110 volt outlets and appliances, or, do they not use 110 volt outlets and appliances?
Ever notice that European outlets look different? Pins instead of prongs, different width, etc.... It's so stupid Americans can't plug their 120VAC devices into a European 240VAC outlet and curl their hair without a curling iron. Europe is generally 240VAC.

Inflation.
Ever notice that European outlets look different? Pins instead of prongs, different width, etc.... It's so stupid Americans can't plug their 120VAC devices into a European 240VAC outlet and curl their hair without a curling iron. Europe is generally 240VAC.
Are you trying to tell me that 220vac is the potentiil of the outlets in a eueropeon bathroom?

The articles wording is misleading, most gadgets are not dual voltage, meaning, if I try to power an appliance marked 110 volts AC by applying 110 vac to both the hot and the neutral line, it's going to smoke. Perhaps the adapter not only of course adapts mechanically to the different prong arrangement, but also feeds the appliances with only one 110vac input? I am confused. Help me!

Most of those adaptors are only mechanical plugs. No electronics, nada. Plug a 110v only device into 240v with them and its going to fail. There is another type of those plugs that have a crappy capacitive dropper arrangement for low power 110v devices. They are dangerous as they provide no isolation from the mains at all and the voltage they output depends on the load, less load more volts, more boom. The last class are adaptors with small transformers in them. Again only low power appliances but they are the real deal and are the only type to use if you don't want to blow something up.

110v sockets in bathrooms for international travellers have a small transformer in the socket/wallplate to drop the 220 to 110.

Sooooo .. that means that a European wall outlet has two, 110 vac hot lines in it and that hair dryer, curling iron, Keurig, vacuum cleaner etc has 220vac pulsing through it?

Back