diy solar

diy solar

Members outnumbered 3:1 by guests - Really?

I need to quickly make up 300 more posts to gain credibility I guess. LOL!
I have seen good comments from people with less than 20 postings. ideas are not limited by the replies that preceed them.

Good ideas can come from anywhere, so can BS...

Very true.
the trick is to evaluate which is which.

When you get a little experience BS becomes apparent...

For example,, If the guy is talking about skin effect (high frequency AC) when discussing battery cables, he's full of BoobTube BS...

If they can't grasp why electrical solder is a good idea, again, BoobTube BS 'Degree'.

My comments was directed at bots. Usually low post count. And the old joke, “don’t trust anyone over 30.”
Funny!
There is a clear correlation with highly active memebers here and their knownledge no doubting that. It remains true also that some low count members have good ideas, comments as well. (after all, to have 10,000 comments someone started with 1 comment, and likely they already knew a lot about what they are talking about even at comment #1 especially those that are electrical industry professionals).
My post was about why are there so many guests:members and what could we as a community be doing to entice more guest to join as members and partake in the conversations.
A few members have commented on Bots, people looking for a quick answer to a problem, find it and depart, even members that may sign-in as a guest while away from their normal access point. - all valid comments for sure.
The fact remains, tonight when I signed in, 150 members, 600 guests (4:1 ratio)
on the newbie Beginners Corner, any new member posting a comment/first post seems to always get a prompt "welcome to the forum" from the very first reply.
could we be doing more to get people to join in and add to the discussions?

though as chat gpt or whatever ramps up, we have less and less confidence that we are dealing with real people.

and we lose the only good thing the internet has left: dialog with real people who share real experience and not corporate bs.

The fact remains, tonight when I signed in, 150 members, 600 guests (4:1 ratio)
on the newbie Beginners Corner, any new member posting a comment/first post seems to always get a prompt "welcome to the forum" from the very first reply.
could we be doing more to get people to join in and add to the discussions?
Would possibly get more registered users if he accepted login credentials via google/facebook/etc.. Some people are probably too lazy to fill out the registration form entirely, or are just tired of maintaining a bunch of different logins. I certainly tend to lean in that direction myself, lazy and hate bunches of logins.

though as chat gpt or whatever ramps up, we have less and less confidence that we are dealing with real people.

and we lose the only good thing the internet has left: dialog with real people who share real experience and not corporate bs.
I had an chat with some system recently - when it asked my name I said "Pissed Customer" and got the prompt 'glad to meet you Pissed'
so yeah, there are ways of knowing when it is auotmation or a person, although they will improve I am sure.

Every time I use Chatgpt it's gets more realistic.
If it wasn't for the blockers that causes it to refrain from answering certain questions I would have already been completely fooled by this AI.
What a wonderful future awaits us when peoples online BFF is a piece of software that is constantly steering you towards purchasing all the sponsored products in it's database.

What a wonderful future awaits us when peoples online BFF is a piece of software that is constantly steering you towards purchasing all the sponsored products in it's database.
The joke will be on them, because they will be talking to my instance of it. :ROFLMAO: It will be AI all the way down!

The joke will be on them, because they will be talking to my instance of it. :ROFLMAO: It will be AI all the way down!
That’s an Interesting thought. How much traffic will be AI talking to AI?

That’s an Interesting thought. How much traffic will be AI talking to AI?
All of it, as far as you know! Once they permanently strap Apples headset to your face, or Musk's brain chip to you, you won't even be able to trust your eyes! :ROFLMAO:

Working on my house, a total rebuild from the foundation up, I'm all over forums looking for quick answers. I join very few of them.
I suspect many people come across this site because it pops up a lot in google. So, looking for an answer to an issue you are having with a certain product can bring you here. Many people are also only in the research stage, so simply looking into solar without any need to communicate yet.
You can take a lot from here without saying a word.

Don’t trust anyone under 1000 posts….

I don't trust anybody that can't tell me 3 ways they screwed things up before they got it right...

Anyone that says they do things flawlessly the first time, every time aren't actually getting anything done.

I came back from lunch today and picked my terminal box up without checking the latches... and I've been doing this close to 50 years out there picking up and sorting terminal ends for 2 hours... ?

I don't trust anybody that can't tell me 3 ways they screwed things up before they got it right...

Anyone that says they do things flawlessly the first time, every time aren't actually getting anything done.

I came back from lunch today and picked my terminal box up without checking the latches... and I've been doing this close to 50 years out there picking up and sorting terminal ends for 2 hours... ?

LOL, my build thread documents the dozen refactors I have done on my system over the past 23 years. Maybe some day I will get it right..............well please tell me what is RIGHT then I will know when I am done

LOL, my build thread documents the dozen refactors I have done on my system over the past 23 years. Maybe some day I will get it right..............well please tell me what is RIGHT then I will know when I am done

People think I'm OCD when I use a label maker and label every wire, diagram things out, seal it up in vacuum freezer bags and leave it taped inside the door of the battery boxes or inverter covers...

YOU try remembering where/what everything is 5 or 10 years down the road when something gives up/goes wrong...
I already know that was 1,100 projects ago and I won't remember... The reason for the diagrams/paperwork/labels.

The older I get the worse it gets because I have even more crap I don't need stuck in my head.
Why I still remember Gilligan's Island episodes and can't remember the grand-brats generation names is beyond me...

Well, as someone 1 year into to solar I've found this site invaluable as most people here are trying to help from their experiences. Of course as in every site there are those, typically suffering from microphallus disorder or some other security issues, that come here to do their do. And while some one mentioned low numbers of messages, and I get that, the irregular troll, I'd suggest be wary of those with 10's of thousands of messages as either super helpful, or the above. Easy to see the difference. Overall great site though.

I've been a member for some time but this is my second post. This site and another site formerly called gearslutz.com (now gearspace.com) is where I spend my spare time or time standing in lines, waiting on hold, etc. Historically I have not logged in to read posts. By the way this is an excellent website with great information from a few experts that seem to always be online. You know who you are, thank you!

Back