diy solar

diy solar

Metal roof mount array with material lying around

Shannonsman229

Never done expanding
utilizing material laying around I was able to come up with this set up using the following:

6in c purlin
22 ft 1 5/8 galvanized chain link top railing
1 3/4 exhaust clamps
Np1 master seal polyurethane sealant
3 / 8 stainless steel washers
Loctite threadlocker
Any hole that I penetrate to hold down the C purlins has a glob of np-1 Master seal. Between the C purlin and the roof.
Using stainless steel washers to sandwich the aluminum frames of the solar panels to prevent chemical reaction between galvanized exhaust clamps and aluminum frames.
Loctite thread Locker not permanent used on any nuts threaded.
Leaving 20 in gaps between every other row for maintenance and slight gap between panels for expansion.

This setup actually worked extremely well. Very sturdy and will last many many years. I was able to access the underside of the panels with The Gap and keep my wiring off of the top of the roof. I am able to run my ground wire easily connecting all panel frames.

Attachments

• 20220530_141604.jpg
    20220530_141604.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 39
Keep watchful eye on the panel overhanging the end of your roof. On top of your roof, wind loads are strongest within 3-4' of the roof edges, and uplift will be even stronger for the overhanging panels.

Keep watchful eye on the panel overhanging the end of your roof. On top of your roof, wind loads are strongest within 3-4' of the roof edges, and uplift will be even stronger for the overhanging panels.
I will be keeping an eye on it. I have 6 3/8 bolts holding it down. Mount is just over half the panel. We will definitely see. My Northern winds are the strongest here and I have windbreakers ahead of it but we will see.

I second that! Why not just put a row of panels on the north side? I know, it's not great but it probably won't tear the roof off.
Basically one row facing north at an angle so that wind can not catch the overhang? I was thinking some kind of Wind Block behind it but if I have extra panels I will definitely look into that.

utilizing material laying around I was able to come up with this set up using the following:

6in c purlin
22 ft 1 5/8 galvanized chain link top railing
1 3/4 exhaust clamps
Np1 master seal polyurethane sealant
3 / 8 stainless steel washers
Loctite threadlocker
Any hole that I penetrate to hold down the C purlins has a glob of np-1 Master seal. Between the C purlin and the roof.
Using stainless steel washers to sandwich the aluminum frames of the solar panels to prevent chemical reaction between galvanized exhaust clamps and aluminum frames.
Loctite thread Locker not permanent used on any nuts threaded.
Leaving 20 in gaps between every other row for maintenance and slight gap between panels for expansion.

This setup actually worked extremely well. Very sturdy and will last many many years. I was able to access the underside of the panels with The Gap and keep my wiring off of the top of the roof. I am able to run my ground wire easily connecting all panel frames.
Good job with the DIY mount.

Last edited:
Thank God I'm nowhere near the coast. Tornado Maybe
Unfortunately, every area has some weather hazard. I rode out the direct hit that was Hurricane Michael. That was the event that got me building. I console myself with the fact that at least with a hurricane, I have warning. I could take my panels down if I had to. I'm currently finishing up a DIY 1.2kW mount. Trying to make it as strong as possible.

Back