diy solar

diy solar

Metal roof with furring strips

Hendo

My new metal roof has furring strips spaced 2' apart the width of the roof going all the way up. The new system I have to install has to be installed in the landscape orientation. (spacing issues) If I run the racking vertical I can get the minimum spacing for the panels of 13" down the long side of the panel but the rails are mounted to the same rafter. (not good I understand) If I run the racking with the long edge of the panels I don't hit the furring strips and the fasteners go into the dead space between the furring strips. (I don't think this is good either)
Hopefully there is a fix

With a metal roof you don't want to drill through it if you can help it. You absolutely don't want any holes in a "valley".

There are a number of systems you can google, but typically you want to attach to the seams or worse case near the tops.
1604755867090.png

I have called about the Magerack about the R brackets but they tell me they wont work as I have the rounded not flat ridge like the pic. So that leaves me with a lag bolt or a S5 solar foot style bracket. I think the other version of brackets screw into the metal rib only.

Thanks for your reply but my is ag style roofing these bracket won't fit

What a PITA style of sheeting that is. Can't put it in the valley, even if leak risk wasn't a factor, only a single hump so you can't use standard corro mounts.

Googling here turns up kliplok sheeting mounts. It allows you to drill through the ridge for water handling, but will spread the load to the flats either side. Maybe you can find something over there in that style.

If your going to spend the money on a large(ish) solar install you might as well spend another couple hundred dollars and replace the corrugated roof under the panels with 5 rib that will accept standard mounts

I would not use brackets that just screw into the tin. Get roof screws with rubber gaskets and screw them into the valley. That is how most roofs are installed. My home and my Shed are installed that way with no problem. Now we get No snow here. Never had a leak. It has been over 20 years.

I would not use brackets that just screw into the tin. Get roof screws with rubber gaskets and screw them into the valley. That is how most roofs are installed. My home and my Shed are installed that way with no problem. Now we get No snow here. Never had a leak. It has been over 20 years.
There have been many a debate over placing the screws in a valley or peak. Either way will work with rubber grommet screws. A warning if putting solar panels over the screws, the grommet screws often require retightening as they age.
Nope, no how, and no way would I want something like solar panels only held in place by tin roof sheathing. IMO, the 1x4 many use for furring strips w/24" trusses, is too light.

I used these on my metal roof in the valleys. Used 1/4" lag bolts with rubber washer tops (like metal roof screws). The Versa Bracket has a rubber neoprene foot too, and I sealed everything with exterior commercial rubberized caulk. I put the 1/4" lags thru the metal, thru the 1" foam insulation, thru the plywood ... AND ... into 2x6 roof rafters. They are NOT coming off :D

Roof Mount.JPG

Back