diy solar

diy solar

Micro Inverter or other inverter - Power On demand ?

jaxone

Hi guys,

Question , maybe stupid ... maybe not so stupid :)

I am wondering if there is any type of Micro Inverter or normal inverter that is able to supply AC power on demand ?
I have set up my off grid system and works pretty nice and I cover 75% of all the power I needed. I pulled new wires from the inverter to my workshop, my washing machine , fridge etc ... and all is OK from that point of view.
Now , I still have some lights and other small appliances ruining On Grid which I want to take care of with 4 x 400 watt panels that I have left.
Was thinking to buy a micro inverter and connect them to it , then just plug the output to a wall socket... BUT I am NOT allowed to inject into the grid.
So I would need an inverter that can inject only when there is load on the grid.

Possible ?
Where should I look, what should I read about ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys,

Question , maybe stupid ... maybe not so stupid :)

I am wondering if there is any type of Micro Inverter or normal inverter that is able to supply AC power on demand ?
I have set up my off grid system and works pretty nice and I cover 75% of all the power I needed. I pulled new wires from the inverter to my workshop, my washing machine , fridge etc ... and all is OK from that point of view.
Now , I still have some lights and other small appliances ruining On Grid which I want to take care of with 4 x 400 watt panels that I have left.
Was thinking to buy a micro inverter and connect them to it , then just plug the output to a wall socket... BUT I am NOT allowed to inject into the grid.
So I would need an inverter that can inject only when there is load on the grid.

Possible ?
Where should I look, what should I read about ?

Thanks in advance.
Not allowed to inject into the grid or not allowed to connect something that could inject to the grid? (do you know specifically)

There are some low end (not UL) grid tie inverters with a current transformer (sensor) so to not produce more than is needed, so no export back to the grid, 1000watt range. There are better and larger, configurable inverters that allow grid tie with zero export.

Not allowed to inject into the grid or not allowed to connect something that could inject to the grid? (do you know specifically)

There are some low end (not UL) grid tie inverters with a current transformer (sensor) so to not produce more than is needed, so no export back to the grid, 1000watt range. There are better and larger, configurable inverters that allow grid tie with zero export.
I am not allowed to inject. I can connect but can't inject.
Have any direction for some of this inverters with sensor ?
Also the grid tie ones that allow grid with 0 export would be interesting when / if I change my actual off grid one.

Thanks in advance.

Yea, I am thinking about that too. I have an off grid 5kw system and I am planning to augment it with an on grid micro inverter system. The micro inverter would connect directly to my off grid system, not the distribution utility grid since my setup is not connected to the it. Is this possible?

Last edited:
I am not allowed to inject. I can connect but can't inject.
Have any direction for some of this inverters with sensor ?
Also the grid tie ones that allow grid with 0 export would be interesting when / if I change my actual off grid one.

Thanks in advance.
Grid Tie is where you are making power on the grid, even if there is no export, you are outputting in sync on the same circuit. Another option is like an "all in one" that can switch to the grid when there is not enough solar-battery to power the loads. Maybe some type of all in one unit would be worth a look as it can stand on its own, off gird. The issue with an all in one is they have to be wired in between the grid and the load, where a grid tie can be wired into the load center.

Would an all in one work without major rewiring?

Back