diy solar

diy solar

Micro inverters - NEP BDM 600 - max input with one panel

thescoutranch

These Micro inverters have the capability to have 2 panels on the input and a single output. What I am trying to figure out is can you use them with just one panel and cap off the other input. If so, what would be the max input that It could handle?

The spec sheet states:
Input
“Recommended Max PV Power (Wp)
450 x 2”

Could you use a single 600w panel, and it would be able to handle it? I am not sure that 600 W panels even exist, just hypothetically speaking.

I called their technical assistance line and talk to a gentleman who assured me that you could do this and it would not be clipped going into the inverter.

I do understand the power coming out of the inverter would be clipped but that’s not an issue for this question.

I know what the tech-support was telling me, but I wasn’t sure if he’s just telling me what I wanted to hear or not.
(Ie the spec sheet state max input watts 450x(2) while the manual states
Max Recommended PV Power(Wp) 340 x 2, he stated this was probably an old table in the new manual, which I believe)

Does anyone have any information on using these micro inverter in this type of configuration?

I assume these inverters would be cheaper to build if they inverted the feeds together, not separately.

Thanks for any replies
Epp

450 x 2 should be “ok” up to 900 for one.( lot’s of clipping?) That’s is what I’ve seen with other products. basically they have been same product with two inputs.

That 450 x 2 is recommended max.

Peak AC Output Power (Wp): 580
Rated AC Output Power (Wp): 500

From SignatureSolar:
Max Rated Power: 600W
Max PV Power per Input: 390W

Last edited:
The datasheet indicates the following input maximums: Voc=60, Imp=14x2.
60V x 14A = 840W allowable at each input for a total of 1680W, yet the maximum continuous output is only 580W.
It seems like the input rating is WAY out of proportion to the output capability of the inverter. Of course in almost all cases there is no hypothetical solar panel with specs that perfectly match the max ratings of the inverter and they are trying to accommodate a variety of panels with various voltage vs. amperage.
To specifically answer your question, It seems a single, hypothetical 600W panel connected to one input would work.

From SignatureSolar:
Max Rated Power: 600W
Max PV Power per Input: 390W
That is where my confusion is coming in.
Signature solar says 390 watts per input, the spec sheet from NEP says 450 watts per input, and nep installation manual says 340watts per input.

Just out of curiosity what would happen if you use a splitter and hook up 1 panel into both input?

Back