diy solar

diy solar

Micro Inverters ???

Nobodybusiness

Collecting the leftovers of the Great Sky Reactor.
All 4 of my MPPT channels are full.

I can add about 4kw AC coupled power per Inverter (Dual Sol-Ark 12ks) so 8kw total.

The thing is I haven’t the foggiest idea about Micro inverters.

Issue is I just want the micro inverter NOT a bunch of monitors and other peripheral nonsense that is required to make them work.

Is there a Stand alone micro inverter I can just add to a panel to do the conversion?

Last edited:

I can add about 4kw AC coupled power per Inverter (Dual Sol-Ark 12ks) so 8kw total.

Issue is I just want the micro inverter NOT a bunch of monitors and other peripheral nonsense that is required to make them work.

Is there a Stand alone micro inverter I can just add to a panel to do the conversion?
I think solark is coming out with their own micro inverters in the spring 2023

Enphase and APsystems I have used without monitoring....
So you can buy just the micro inverter from Enphase and APsystems and nothing else and it will work?
It’s not just monitoring I don’t want. It’s nothing but the micro inverter.

I have seen videos where Enphase won’t work unless monitored or something. The red light is on.

I have done multiple enphase models without a problem...

I currently have 24 IQ7PLUS-72-2-US for the last 4 years without bridge.
I think the others I have tried are the IQ7X and IQ7Plus

I looked up blinking red light and it says the inverter doesn't like the grid...where are you located, I am in Michigan.

I would have to look but mine blink at night with no sun but I don't remember the color.

I would stick with trying the IQ7's and not the 8's

I don't think my Chilicon micros need the gateway to function, but I am not sure if they can be initially set up without it.

I've been playing around with some IQ7's. That I intend to incorporate into my system. They work as stand alone. They indicate not seeing a gateway. But still work without it.

I looked up blinking red light and it says the inverter doesn't like the grid...where are you located, I am in Michigan.

I would have to look but mine blink at night with no sun but I don't remember the color.

Thanks for the info!!

Just an FYI in case you didn't know that you can also AC couple a string inverter but that won't handle rapid shut down if needed.

Looks like you can only use 60 and 72 cell panels with the IQ7PLUS-72-2-US??

Just an FYI in case you didn't know that you can also AC couple a string inverter but that won't handle rapid shut down if needed.
Yea I was trying to see what the most economical solution was.
Probably end up going that way because the panels I have are 144 cell and apparently won’t work with IQ7PLUS-72-2-US.

As others have written, Enphase works just fine just connected to Solar and Grid lines. 144 cell half cell is the same as a standard 72 Cell voltage wise, the IQ7's are fine with them, just match the vmp / voc voltage of the panel with the inverter's specifications. I have a roof of half cells, there is no better panel on the market performance wise.

As others have written, Enphase works just fine just connected to Solar and Grid lines. 144 cell half cell is the same as a standard 72 Cell voltage wise, the IQ7's are fine with them, just match the vmp / voc voltage of the panel with the inverter's specifications. I have a roof of half cells, there is no better panel on the market performance wise.
Well the VMP is well within the limits.
I was just going by what the site said.
I have extra 16 Q.PEAK DUO XL G10 480W
And 10 Solarever 455 panels.

That’s what I have to work with.
If it will work with those I can do it..

Those are some BIG wattage panels, and probably have to much current for the Enphase to handle.

I have 395W half cells and connected a M215 for giggles, lasted about 20 minutes when a cloud passed by and then self-destructed.

In theory a mppt based inverter should be able to just raise the voltage to prevent over-current but this is limited by the reaction time to do so. So in this case I would just stick with either a string inverter or if you want to role the dice one of the newer to market china micro inverters that are rated for the current / power the panel could produce. You need to allow +30% for edge of cloud events.

Yea I was trying to see what the most economical solution was.
Probably end up going that way because the panels I have are 144 cell and apparently won’t work with IQ7PLUS-72-2-US.
I've got a few of the Solis inverters on my house and like them. No problems after 5 years, easy to use portal and app for energy monitoring. The 10kW has 4 MPPT's with a pretty wide voltage range which is probably overkill for you but those 4 MPPT's are nice.

I've got a few of the Solis inverters on my house and like them. No problems after 5 years, easy to use portal and app for energy monitoring. The 10kW has 4 MPPT's with a pretty wide voltage range which is probably overkill for you but those 4 MPPT's are nice.

I currently have a pair of Solis 5G 6kw hybrids, aside from firmware issues that have been mostly addressed they are the best bang for the buck for hybrid.

Also picked up a really cheap pair of Solis 2G's 5kw nearly new off fleabay for spares for $400 total, shipped 2 years ago, ran for 3 months before the 5G install, ran them for months at power limit. Only issue with them was afci randomly trips, set to a grid profile that disabled that and never had an issue again.

I have currently 4 x IQ8+ running without any envoy.
It will blink orange "no communication with envoy" but produces energy like a champ.
I see no reason to avoid 8's

So you can buy just the micro inverter from Enphase and APsystems and nothing else and it will work?
It’s not just monitoring I don’t want. It’s nothing but the micro inverter.

I have seen videos where Enphase won’t work unless monitored or something. The red light is on.
When using the micro inverters from AP Systems you need the ECU gateway for first setup. (Grid settings)
After that it works without the ECU.

When using the micro inverters from AP Systems you need the ECU gateway for first setup. (Grid settings)
After that it works without the ECU.
I have used the QS1's and they don't require anything....I know things have been upgraded and maybe changed....
Thanks for the info I am guessing you are talking about the new stuff.

Back