diy solar

diy solar

Mid-tier 200/300Ah LiFePo4 available in Europe - does anyone here build on commission?

donsolar

Hi, I've posted a thread in Cabin/Tiny-home build where you can see more info about my system.

My system will be running in Portugal, freezing is not an issue for me. Batteries will be inside my living space (30m2).

I would like 3-400Ah, 12V.

I'm looking to spend 1-2000€ (but obviously less is ideal). My main priority is longevity. I have calculated my system to a 40% discharge limit (as in: discharged to 40% of the battery's capacity).

I'm running 2x 390W Panels with 40V Voc and a Victron 150/60 MPPT.

I am currently living in Germany.

My very basic shortlist after a few days of googling:
Premium (too expensive for me really) SOK 12V 206 x 2 - 2300€
Mid-range: Zooms/Power Queen/Ampere Time 12V 200Ah x 2 - 1800€
Budget, risky: Sinopoly 12V 400Ah - 1537€

Wildcard option: Build my own, or commission someone to build me one. Does anyone on this forum offer that?

Thank you in advance.

Have you considered a 48v system? I use a 100A 48v and it lasts me about 24-48 sometimes 72 hours of usage. Turning it off before going to sleep (via bluetooth) and running everything else from batteries (lights, bluetoogh speaker, cell phone, laptop that I charge a 'night time' battery pack next to my battery bank) ...I have everything I need.

If you can I would defintely go with a SOK that has the ability to replace the cells aka "servicable cells". I wish I had done this. For the extra price, you get the ability to rebuild it or fix it.

Also LifePho4 can defintely go under 40% discharge limit -- there are discharge "limit". Supposively you can reach 8000 cycles if you stay within the 20-80% band, but really ... something else will break within 18-19 years, am I right? You can discharge to 0% and charge it up to 100%. In fact, you will need to get to 100% every once and a while ( and hold it) because of buggy BMS not balancing until they reach thatt point.

Have you considered a 48v system? I use a 100A 48v and it lasts me about 24-48 sometimes 72 hours of usage. Turning it off before going to sleep (via bluetooth) and running everything else from batteries (lights, bluetoogh speaker, cell phone, laptop that I charge a 'night time' battery pack next to my battery bank) ...I have everything I need.

If you can I would defintely go with a SOK that has the ability to replace the cells aka "servicable cells". I wish I had done this. For the extra price, you get the ability to rebuild it or fix it.

Also LifePho4 can defintely go under 40% discharge limit -- there are discharge "limit". Supposively you can reach 8000 cycles if you stay within the 20-80% band, but really ... something else will break within 18-19 years, am I right? You can discharge to 0% and charge it up to 100%. In fact, you will need to get to 100% every once and a while ( and hold it) because of buggy BMS not balancing until they reach thatt point.
I have considered 48V, but feel strongly about sticking with 12V for this system for now. I'm planning on keeping my power oak for phone/laptop, even a small kettle and toaster maybe. 12V system is just for lights and freezer, both of which are native 12V.

Serviceable cells, that's a great tip. I'll keep an eye out for that - thanks!

It's good to know I can fully discharge my LiFePo4, but I'd like to keep it to 50/50 max. As I said, longevity is my number 1 priority! Sure, something else may break within 18-19 years, but that doesn't mean I have to replace my batteries :D

Which battery(s) do you have?

You could consider getting a 48v to 12v power supply to run your 12v systems, and still utilize a 48v battery, but it sounds like you're ok. Just pointing out one last possibility. The drawbacks of 48v systems is that they are more expensive (chargers, inverters, MPPT) but at least for the MPPT you will get more solar power. A drammatic increase of MPPT solar power charging at a slight price increase. That and saving costs in power cables, quicker charging with a generator.

I have the
EG4-LL Lithium Battery | 48V 100AH
$1,749.00
$341.60 / Kilowatt-hour

The EG4-LL is non-user serviceable ( apparently the batteries are welded) vs _some models_ of SOK allow switching out with bolts connecting the batteries, from what I can recall. You really want that...

and I have a Victron 375VA 48v 120v inverter. I got this for the 13 watts idle (vs 80-140w for other setups, like hybrids... I see this as a huge waste of the battery)
I also have three or four 48v chargers and a propane generator.

I could see and respect a decision to stay with 12v. I almost did it but I wanted quick charging abilities.
Sourcing and dealing with CC/CV 48v chargers has been a huge pain for me.

Thanks for the infos Dave. I've settled on an MPPT now and am nearly done with my battery choice. Will probably be back on soon to ask about cable sizing. I appreciate your help!

Back