diy solar

diy solar

Midnight classic150 & Schneider 4024 good combo?

Jamie.sanders

Putting together my system
I have a midnight classic 150 charge controller
Max out output 96 amps going into 3, 24 volt Lithium batteries and am considering the Schneider 4024 inverter
3,400 watts continuous
Output current 90A
41 amps per current.
Opinions???

Attachments

• FE25CB03-1634-433E-A0AD-70C6B715C523.png
    FE25CB03-1634-433E-A0AD-70C6B715C523.png
    679.3 KB · Views: 6
Mid nite makes a good controller and the Schneider is a good inverter
but I like to get all my equipment from the same manufacturer So they all network together .
I use all out back equipment .

What are specifications of battery?

Many lithium batteries accept 0.5C charge rate, so long as temperature isn't too far from 25 degrees C.

Midnight by itself 96A, so OK for 200 Ah or larger total battery bank. (If one or two of three batteries disconnected, that current would go into fewer batteries. If just one 100 Ah left standing, that would be near 1.0C charge rate.)

With Midnight + Schneider, 186A charging possible. 372Ah or larger bank for that to be 0.5C

I prefer a setup which tracks/controls total charge current. For instance if inverter can see scc current by means of a battery shunt or communication bus, and adjust its own current to limit total.

If battery gets cold it can't accept as much current. Zero allowed below freezing, but maybe 0.1C if temperature below 10 degrees C. Whatever current is available, you should set BMS low-temperature charge-disconnect at a temperature where that current will do no harm.

What are specifications of battery?

Many lithium batteries accept 0.5C charge rate, so long as temperature isn't too far from 25 degrees C.

Midnight by itself 96A, so OK for 200 Ah or larger total battery bank. (If one or two of three batteries disconnected, that current would go into fewer batteries. If just one 100 Ah left standing, that would be near 1.0C charge rate.)

With Midnight + Schneider, 186A charging possible. 372Ah or larger bank for that to be 0.5C

I prefer a setup which tracks/controls total charge current. For instance if inverter can see scc current by means of a battery shunt or communication bus, and adjust its own current to limit total.

If battery gets cold it can't accept as much current. Zero allowed below freezing, but maybe 0.1C if temperature below 10 degrees C. Whatever current is available, you should set BMS low-temperature charge-disconnect at a temperature where that current will do no harm.
Thanks for the information, the batteries are 280AH, or would the midnite DIY series 24 volt inverter be a better fit? It’s much cheaper.

Attachments

• 83AE0590-41EB-4791-801F-F6BDF0DD8A80.png
    83AE0590-41EB-4791-801F-F6BDF0DD8A80.png
    824.3 KB · Views: 4
I could see trying a mid nite diy inverter if you bought it from a suppler with a good reputation and real tec support .
AWS is a good suppler and if they are willing to sell it , it mite be worth a try .
but generally cheeper is just cheaper , with solar you get what you pay for , I hate when the lights go out ☹️

I use a Victron 250/60 MPPT with my Schneider CSW 4048 and am happy with the combo.

why wouldent you go with a schneider charge controller ? Inquiring minds wanna know

That’s a good question, from what I can see the only reason is the price, the midnite solar DIY inverter is around $700 vs $1275

The Midnight Classic 150 is NOT rated to output 96 amps at 24 volts.....that is the rating for 12 volt operation, its more like 84-86 amps at 24 volt operation

If I’m not mistaken the mid nite diy system has a built in charge controller and every thing you need to operate the unit .
Snider /out back / magnum need all kinds of other stuff to operate the unit .
My out back system is a aio system but it is components put together it’s a flex power one 36/48v .
And it work really well together .
I’m powering a 2800sf cabin off grid so I did not want to experiment with my power
4 years ago it cost 2700 $ now I’m seeing 4K so there must be covid money added on ? .

If I’m not mistaken the mid nite diy system has a built in charge controller and every thing you need to operate the unit .
My out back system is a aio system but it is components put together it’s a flex power one 36/48v .
I’m powering a 2800sf cabin off grid so I did not want to experiment with my power
4 years ago it cost 2700 $ now I’m seeing 4K so there must be covid money added on ? .
edit, my statement was not completely true

Last edited:
Well it is a inverter/ charger, as in using 120 v to assist in charging the batteries but it’s not a solar panel charge controller.
NOT TRUE......

The Midnight DIY Inverter/Chargers DO have a built in Solar Charge Controller.....BOTH of them do......Please read the specifications

Midnight has not yet released the Rosie Inverter/Charger and it does not have a Solar Charge Controller built in

Outback DOES NOT sell an AIO....all-in-one system... They do sell very well integrated components that make up a complete system but they are individual components

Schneider also sells various components that can be assembled into a package To include their inverter/chargers with their excellent SCC but these are separate components that are engineered to work seamlessly together.

Same with MagnaSine but their SCC are not at the same level as their Inverter/Chargers

AIO units come from China Mostly. AFAIK...Midnight is the only American Manufacturer to put their name on an AIO unit but it is “contract built” in China....

Outback’s Charge controller is no longer “made in America” It is totally designed by them but it is built by fangspaun in China or India

All the blue plastic Victron units are made in China by fangspaun and there are very many knock off clones of the Victron units being sold in America, you are on your own for support of these units.

Last edited:
Great combo.

Stick with the classic 150. With the LAN connection it's amazing and unsurpassed for ultimate control.

Assuming u mean the SW? It is made all the better with a LAN or wifi connection of some kind. I use the combox

But the two play nice together, and the custom settings for battery charging in both the classic and the s w can really make for a great lfp charging combo

Outback DOES NOT sell an AIO....all-in-one system... They do sell very well integrated components that make up a complete system but they are individual components

Schneider also sells various components that can be assembled into a package To include their inverter/chargers with their excellent SCC but these are separate components that are engineered to work seamlessly together.

Same with MagnaSine but their SCC are not at the same level as their Inverter/Chargers

AIO units come from China Mostly. AFAIK...Midnight is the only American Manufacturer to put their name on an AIO unit but it is “contract built” in China....

Outback’s Charge controller is no longer “made in America” It is totally designed by them but it is built by fangspaun in China or India

All the blue plastic Victron units are made in China by fangspaun and there are very many knock off clones of the Victron units being sold in America, you are on your own for support of these units.
Thanks, that good info, got me leaning toward the Schneider as I already have a midnight 150 CC

Last edited:
And if you want super extreme easy connection setup, do yourself a favor and get the Midnight solar ePanel for the SW

Last edited:
I went with the SW 4 years ago because it was the lowest price option for split phase 240v that was also UL list 1741 listed at the time.

The are other options that are All in Ones now. But if you need UL 1741, be careful. There seems to a difference in UL Listed and UL compliant. I have seen some of the more recent Chinese offerings advertise they are UL compliant. But I think that is different than UL listed.

Great combo.

Stick with the classic 150. With the LAN connection it's amazing and unsurpassed for ultimate control.

Assuming u mean the SW? It is made all the better with a LAN or wifi connection of some kind. I use the combox
I have 3 x Midnite Classic 150s - and I agree that I love the 'hard' inernet connetion + it has modbus access with clearly published registers. For example, I was able to write some (relatively) simple PHP to access registers and create a simple dashboard like this:
1639685797953.png

Happy to share if someone wants to get down in the register weeds :)

Back