diy solar

MidNite CC citing Battery Over Voltage

EasternPromise

Odd situation:

9kW of PV through three Charge Controllers - 2x MS 250 and 1x 150
48V battery bank - 24x 2V Rolls AGM
2 Magnum charger/inverters
1 Magnum Remote

I'm running backup generator at night after a cloudy day and the Charge Controllers are displaying a Batt Over V error.
Charge controllers are set at 58.8V for Absorb, when taking in DC. Currently shows at 58.7V when generator is running.
Remote is set to charge from generator at same 58.8V at Absorb

When generator is running - I'm seeing a charge which fluctuates between 58.82 and 58.88 (extra second decimal)

Why would my CC be showing me an alert when A.) PV isn't delivering DC and B.) when batteries are taking in correctly programmed voltage?

Any ideas?
Big thanks,

Most likely, the surface voltage is exceeding the 58.8, since you say you are seeing 58.88, etc… that is over the max of 58.8… and the generator likely spikes voltage beyond this.

You figure it's just a glitch and the CC is getting 'hair triggered' or something I should look to remedy?

Odd situation:

9kW of PV through three Charge Controllers - 2x MS 250 and 1x 150
48V battery bank - 24x 2V Rolls AGM
2 Magnum charger/inverters
1 Magnum Remote

I'm running backup generator at night after a cloudy day and the Charge Controllers are displaying a Batt Over V error.
Charge controllers are set at 58.8V for Absorb, when taking in DC. Currently shows at 58.7V when generator is running.
Remote is set to charge from generator at same 58.8V at Absorb

When generator is running - I'm seeing a charge which fluctuates between 58.82 and 58.88 (extra second decimal)

Why would my CC be showing me an alert when A.) PV isn't delivering DC and B.) when batteries are taking in correctly programmed voltage?

Any ideas?
Big thanks,
As for the alerts when PV isn't inputting, the Midnite monitors voltage at all times regardless of charge sources and will alert when it sees voltage above the "max volts" setting in the "Advanced" config menu. Also your generator charge source may be sensing a slightly lower voltage than the Midnite, so it charges to a higher voltage thinking it's a bit lower than it is. It could be that the Midnite is measuring the voltage a bit higher than it really is. This can be "fixed" in the "Tech" config menu on the MN under the "voltage offsets" setting. You would just set the offset higher or lower to match the actual voltage or match the generator charge source voltage so both devices are in agreement as to what the voltage reading should be. As you can see in my screenshot, I've had to set my MN offset to +0.1 volt to match my other charging sources.

Attachments

• 2021-09-23 (1).png
    2021-09-23 (1).png
    209.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 2021-09-23.png
    2021-09-23.png
    219.7 KB · Views: 2
As for the alerts when PV isn't inputting, the Midnite monitors voltage at all times regardless of charge sources and will alert when it sees voltage above the "max volts" setting in the "Advanced" config menu. Also your generator charge source may be sensing a slightly lower voltage than the Midnite, so it charges to a higher voltage thinking it's a bit lower than it is. It could be that the Midnite is measuring the voltage a bit higher than it really is. This can be "fixed" in the "Tech" config menu on the MN under the "voltage offsets" setting. You would just set the offset higher or lower to match the actual voltage or match the generator charge source voltage so both devices are in agreement as to what the voltage reading should be. As you can see in my screenshot, I've had to set my MN offset to +0.1 volt to match my other charging sources.
Thanks. Will tinker with these settings and see if it pacifies the Midnite.

Back