diy solar

diy solar

Midnite Classic 200, LiFePO4 Pack w/ Chargery BMS8T & FLA Bank

Steve_S

Offgrid Cabineer, N.E. Ontario, Canada
Good day folks.
I need a sanity check and input for the setup I have come up with. As the Classic does not have direct LFP support nor has the ability to receive signalling from the BMS I've come up with this solution.

General Summary:
  • I have a Midnite Classic 200, Samlex EVO-4024 Inverter/Charger, an 24V FLA Battery Bank and now adding a 24V/400AH LFP Pack.
  • The FLA is going for Backup power duty, the LFP pack is going to be main power.
  • Classic 200 will be configured to charge the LFP with params below.
  • The Samlex will retain FLA Charge profile and will use GenSet when required for charging the FLA Bank.
  • The LFP BMS is a Chargery BMS8T which has Lo/Hi volt cutoff via external Relay, I'll be using the LO volt relay as a safety, The classic will not exceed the Hi and Samlex won't be charging the LFP pack. **
** The Samlex can have saved / loadable parameter files on the SDHC card so I intend to have a profile configured for LFP just in case it's necessary.

Charge Parameters for the Classic 200.
Bulk Voltage :
28V - 29.2V
- Absorption Voltage *: 28V - 29.2V Absorption Time 0-15 min
- Float Voltage *: 26.6V - 27.6V
- Equalize *: OFF or as short time possible @ float voltage
VOLTAGE CUTOFFS Low Voltage: 22V - 24V High Voltage: 29.2V
* not necessary

NOTE: There is a USRIOT RS232/RS485 to Ethernet converter shown. This accepts RS232 from the BMS as well as RS485 from the Samlex Inverter providing a software interface via Modbus. https://www.usriot.com/products/modbus-serial-to-ethernet-converters.html

There is a Wizbang on the shunt in the e-panel. Midnite MNDC-250 EPanel
The BMS reads that other shunt, as well it has a coulomb meter for the LFP side.
Unfortunately, the Wizbang will be limited for some things this way but the BMS gives me what I need for the LFP and I'll have to figure something for the FLA. I don't foresee that as a problem though.