diy solar

diy solar

Midnite Solar Announced their new 10kw AIO at Intersolar Today

I am curious what you wanted to accomplish and what you chose and why. I'm about to retire and build a retirement home and would prefer to be totally off grid. Trying to learn.

From a few years of smart metering, my daily consumption averages about 15-17kWh per 24 hour day but my retirement home will be a small and very efficient SIP enclosed timber frame, but will be all electric. I have a rough idea of what I will be acquiring for high efficiency appliances, HVAC, hpt water heater, lighting, and other electrical loads. The Midnite AIO looks appealing but so does the 6000XP and the NHX-10kW. I have a bit of time yet and am inclined to wait to suss out the Midnite AIO before pulling the trigger on a system purchase.

I have noticed this on some other AIOs and it kinda bugs me. I'm used to the traditional way, where you either hit a switch or change the mode to "enabled" in the menu and "BAM", the inverter turns on. I'm pretty sure a 5 minute delay on startup, fault clear and startup, and changing modes and startup will get you guys a bunch of unnecessary phone calls.
Yeah, both our Solis HV inverters do this. Not sure if it's exactly 5 minutes but it's around there. Annoying.

I am curious what you wanted to accomplish and what you chose and why. I'm about to retire and build a retirement home and would prefer to be totally off grid. Trying to learn.

From a few years of smart metering, my daily consumption averages about 15-17kWh per 24 hour day but my retirement home will be a small and very efficient SIP enclosed timber frame, but will be all electric. I have a rough idea of what I will be acquiring for high efficiency appliances, HVAC, hpt water heater, lighting, and other electrical loads. The Midnite AIO looks appealing but so does the 6000XP and the NHX-10kW. I have a bit of time yet and am inclined to wait to suss out the Midnite AIO before pulling the trigger on a system purchase.
I'm moving my shop to solar power. I already run my house almost completely off grid. We use less than 3% grid power for the house.

The shop will require at least 10 Kw per leg, the 6000XP would require 4 units. I don't want or need to be grid interactive with a hybrid. Grid will be backup power, unless I decide the grid usage is low enough or grid cost is too high that a generator could be backup.

Basically make a list of what you want the inverter to do, then create a spreadsheet listing each inverter you are researching and whether it fits those needs and the pros/cons of each.

The new MidNite AIO has a separate 60 amp gen input. That same input can also be a 60 amp smart load output. One or the other. Nobody has correctly figured out our manufacturing facility. We need to keep that confidential as others would want to use the them. We have put too much Time, money and IP into this company to let others use them.
Impressive comments by Robin.

That price is fine if they bring out 9540 batteries at comparable price point to EG4

The sub $5000 stuff is either something super quirky like SolArk 5k/8k (non split phase) or the Chinese 9540 hybrids that may have a really good spec sheet but have terrible manuals/need a ton of forum diving to use.

TBH to use one of those $2000 hybrids effectively you have to spend so much time reading forums that you will never make it back, or need to make it back on volume. But it is not clear how good their remote management tools are. Maybe Growatt and Hoymiles have a lot of experience with remote management tools given all their grid tie deliveries to the U.S. 🤷. But batteries/hybrids are much more complex than grid tie inverters to manage.

I'd much prefer one of these to a Solark 15k and how much is the 15k?
$7000 from CC. And a lot of people on this thread have a longer parasocial relationship with MidNite than with SolArk.

SolArk, apart from the EMP meme to build simpatico with preppers, never struck me as having the same kind of parasocial hangers on on this forum as Victron, MidNite, etc. They have their installer network and support capabilities to lean on (interestingly Enphase has a healthy DIY crowd that loves their stuff and identifies with the product, they’re just on completely different forums from here. Perhaps there’s a strong grassroots SolArk contingent out there.)

Heck even the generic companies with no presence have inverters with parasocial friendly personalities just from being highly cost effective and not garbage, which leads to them being adopted and pushed by some enjoyers

Last edited:
That price is fine if they bring out 9540 batteries at comparable price point to EG4

The sub $5000 stuff is either something super quirky like SolArk 5k/8k (non split phase) or the Chinese 9540 hybrids that may have a really good spec sheet but have terrible manuals/need a ton of forum diving to use.

TBH to use one of those $2000 hybrids effectively you have to spend so much time reading forums that you will never make it back, or need to make it back on volume. But it is not clear how good their remote management tools are. Maybe Growatt and Hoymiles have a lot of experience with remote management tools given all their grid tie deliveries to the U.S. 🤷. But batteries/hybrids are much more complex than grid tie inverters to manage.
The growatt sph10000tl hu-us is shipping now and it's going to be a $2500 game changer. I think it will have solark level usability at less than half the price.

The growatt sph10000tl hu-us is shipping now and it's going to be a $2500 game changer. I think it will have solark level usability at less than half the price.
I haven’t looked at the manuals/training material for that while. Based on what you MajicDiver and others have said about it I can definitely accept that it has solid hardware and software implementation for your specific use cases and expertise. I don’t believe there is enough operational experience on the new generation MidNite either to establish this; rather the reputation is based on old fashioned social trust instead of cold engineering risk management.

One other thing I think I like about MidNite is that they potentially are better hedged (by reputation) against something dumb like being in year 2029 with 9540 compliant batteries that no longer have a matching 9540 inverter, because the distributor went out of business in the U.S. due to government policy changes (ie taxes, tariffs, net metering) and the original manufacturer in China not caring. I don’t think CEC 10 year warranty rule requires equipment or funds to be placed in escrow to guarantee serviceability for 10 years

But then even with MidNite, once all the engineers/businesspeople people like & retire (or fall into ill health), what then? 🤷

They did mention batteries . Waiting on those as well.
Hope the tariff doesn’t mess it up.
Have a guy looking to parallel four of these but hanging one batteries aswell

I haven’t looked at the manuals/training material for that while. Based on what you MajicDiver and others have said about it I can definitely accept that it has solid hardware and software implementation for your specific use cases and expertise. I don’t believe there is enough operational experience on the new generation MidNite either to establish this; rather the reputation is based on old fashioned social trust instead of cold engineering risk management.

One other thing I think I like about MidNite is that they potentially are better hedged (by reputation) against something dumb like being in year 2029 with 9540 compliant batteries that no longer have a matching 9540 inverter, because the distributor went out of business in the U.S. due to government policy changes (ie taxes, tariffs, net metering) and the original manufacturer in China not caring. I don’t think CEC 10 year warranty rule requires equipment or funds to be placed in escrow to guarantee serviceability for 10 years

But then even with MidNite, once all the engineers/businesspeople people like & retire (or fall into ill health), what then? 🤷
Does midnite currently have a 9540 compliant solution?

Does midnite currently have a 9540 compliant solution?
IIRC it was promised upthread by one of the MidNite folks, and I don’t think a hybrid can be viable without it. You can only sell in the handful of states where there is a combination of no 9540, lots of potential customers, and no anti solar bias in the local community.

They went with a 10 year warranty which is needed for CEC, so at least that is in the direction of getting it. Not sure any sane customer would pay $5150 and then just grid tie

They did mention batteries . Waiting on those as well.
Hope the tariff doesn’t mess it up.
Have a guy looking to parallel four of these but hanging one batteries aswell
Battery tariffs for ESS don’t kick in for 2 years but it could have a chilling effect on companies bothering to get solutions certified this year. Since the business fundamentals are harder with +25%. Maybe someone that does a lot of import export can explain how the various layers of the transaction will absorb the changed profit split.

Maybe the certification costs will be born more by the U.S. side of the relationship.

I'd much prefer one of these to a Solark 15k and how much is the 15k?
Solark is rebadged Deye and prob $2000-$2500 outside North America. But for US market where Solark has the exclusive distribution then the Midnite at $5150 is quite an attractive option imo.

Back