diy solar

diy solar

Midnite Solar Classic and Classic SL Comparison Chart

Steve_S

Offgrid Cabineer, N.E. Ontario, Canada
I use a Classic-200 and LOVE IT, great controller, configurable, adaptable, stackable !

The Classic MPPT Charge Controller substantially increases the flexibility, features and range currently found on MPPT controllers. The Classic is the only MPPT controller that has Arc Fault Detection, making this controller the safest controller available. With the Classic 150 ranging up to 96 amps, the Classic 200, 79 amps and the Classic 250, 63 amps, why would you need any other controller?

CLASSIC COMPARISONS
Standard Classic
- Has all features: Arc Fault, Ground Fault, Free web monitoring, Graphics panel, Solar, Hydro and Wind Modes.

Classic-SL's - Simplified version of the standard Classic No Arc Fault, Solar Mode Only, No Ethernet capabilities, Ground Fault included. Graphics Panel and Simplified Menu.

Read More Here: http://www.midnitesolar.com/pages/pages.php?article_ID=14

midnite.JPG

As far as I am aware, the Classics (current versions) cannot directly communicate with a BMS. They can only see "the pack" as an entity. IF the BMS has the ability to shut off incoming charge via an external relay then it has to be wired accordingly. If the BMS does it internally, it's up to the BMS. These are questions better asked & discussed on the Midnite Solar Forum http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php

I decided to use a Chargery BMS8T for my ShunBin Pack which uses relays to give me the most flexibility

i have 2 classics 250 buck, Any tricks on how they operate compared to the retail full versions, from what I can see they disabled a few things for the price, not having that voice to me is not a big deal.

As far as I am aware, the Classics (current versions) cannot directly communicate with a BMS. They can only see "the pack" as an entity. IF the BMS has the ability to shut off incoming charge via an external relay then it has to be wired accordingly. If the BMS does it internally, it's up to the BMS. These are questions better asked & discussed on the Midnite Solar Forum http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php

I decided to use a Chargery BMS8T for my ShunBin Pack which uses relays to give me the most flexibility
Im using the same so would your plan be to shut off the panels then if cell voltage gets too high?

Im using the same so would your plan be to shut off the panels then if cell voltage gets too high?
NO... I plan to just use 2 stage charging.... Bulk at a charge voltage and program float, equalize etc to 24V. no need to disconnect the panels or battery. Leaving the inverter programmed for FLA and when I need to top up I can use the Genset. Would be nice to find a 3 Way Relay, so low volt would trip that relay & have it switch to the FLA bank.

I have a Midnite Classic on a small 1.2kW array and the one thing that has started to bother me is the lack of firmware updates and ease of communicating with other equipment. There's been requests in past for instance to add better support for users of LiFePo4 battery banks via a firmware update.

In general though the built-in Arc Fault and Ground Fault Protection Device is a significant hardware advantage over other SCC that would require extra equipment and expense to add this functionality.

Midnite was way ahead of others years ago and when I bought my C-200 it was the Cat's Meow 6 years ago...
The last firmware update was 2018.
Asking Tech Support about LFP, they tell you to got their Forums....
They seem to have no interests in anything but Lea, so it seems.
They started working on their own Inverters... 3 Years or more now and still in Beta - Seriously ?
Their LACK OF INTEREST IN LFP/Lithium support with a firmware update for me is a RED FLAG of other things not going well there...

** HERE IS AN IRONY, so many are Anti-China this or that... okay fine BUT I look at Chargery Inc for a second, they Listen & Hear what the clients are saying, they respond & react by HEARING US and developing new equipment and improving existing equipment. Chargery did not have Cold Temp cutoff till I discussed with Jason at Chargery and convinced him to do some firmware updates.... Craig & I spend an obscene amount on testing SSRs , even having custom ones even designed and made 500A / 1000A Big Lugg units with massive heat sinks... and working with Jason who took our input and others input resulted in the new Chargery DCC (Smart Solid State Contactor) at a very respectable price. THIS IS A LESSON SOME COMPANIES SHOULD LEARN FROM ! It is called Good Customer Service and Responsiveness to Customer Needs & Demands.

Well maybe it's just time to send the C-200 in for a Gus Replacement (part of their services) and ride it out. But I'm not sure they offer that service anymore...

They re great SCC's with all the right goodies BUT they are not keeping up, coasting on PAST GLORIES and as such falling behind. Hindsight is always 20/20, I wish I had bought all Victron but it was not for sale in Canada back then.

Funny you should mention Victron. That is precisely why I am making out an order list for a new system based on Victron inverter and charge controller(s) along with other pieces such as the Cerbo GX. Victron seems light years ahead of any of the competitors with regard to their software upates, firmware updates, and software customization capability. As I'm sure you know there is even a driver available for Victron system to interface with Chargery BMS (which is what I am planning to use). Victrons hardware is slightly behind as far as features but the other makes up for that.

Back