diy solar

diy solar

MidNite Solar DIY Series

GaRay

Having not ever heard of Growatt or MPP i am considering using the MidNite MN3548DIY but still the price is soooo low!

I have been using Outback and Magnum for years and always want to save cash so…

How is it possible to get any of these three products so cost effective?​

Thanks!​

MPP voltage range is extremely low. I'd also look to see where it is made at. could be the same plant in china as other brands are made

I've been using Robin and Bob's equipment since their Trace days and actually a SW4024 is still my main inverter powered by a pair of Midnite Classic 150's

Quoted from the Midnite site....

"The DIY Series is designed to be affordable, dependable, and supported by the industry’s best customer service personnel at MidNite Solar. Manufactured for MidNite Solar in China."

They made it VERY clear about the origin of this unit......

With their 25 years in the business, I'd expect this to be a great product and I may buy one to power the shop....

Given the configuration documentation and specs, this looks just like a MPP Solar/Growatt unit (more like MPP Solar). Likely all made by Voltronics.

They are also high frequency inverters meaning they have no meaningful surge capability.

Very interesting. Just the fact that it's tied to the MidNite name means this just jumped to the top of my list if I'm ever looking at a cheap AiO.

Thanks for everyones comments. Today I ordered a MidNite all in one "DIY" from Northern Arizona Wind and Sun. After watching the video that Robin and Bob produced on the device I believe they will stand behind their venture into off shore manufacturing. Stay tuned for the results!

I believe they are planning to come out with a 48v version capable of split phase power at 5kW output and 600v MPPT input voltage.

I posted some info in another thread a while ago and will look for it again.

Last edited:
A related Thread started June 14th.

I believe they are planning to come out with a 48v version capable of split phase power at 5kW output and 600v MPPT input voltage.

I posted some info in another thread a while ago and will look for it again.
Yes, the 600vdc mppt is what I am waiting for.....

I think Panel prices have bottomed out and are stable at around 50 cents per watt...
Battery prices are on the rise....I bought 280ah pack for ~$80 a cell just over a year ago and now they are ~$125...HUGE INCREASE....
But inverter prices are dropping with more capability :) (I am ready for an upgrade)

Thanks for everyones comments. Today I ordered a MidNite all in one "DIY" from Northern Arizona Wind and Sun. After watching the video that Robin and Bob produced on the device I believe they will stand behind their venture into off shore manufacturing. Stay tuned for the results!
It’s been a few months, what are your thoughts on this unit? Would you trust it if you lived far away in some remote mountains?

Fascinating. I did not realize Midnite had jumped into the AOI pool. At least they will stand behind it, even if it is an MPP in a different colored box.

That’s my thought. I have great faith In midnite as a company, have dealt with them before and they are as good as it gets about support and quality.

im looking at having to deploy a decent quantity of complete systems for a small efficient household, and the nightmare of support from the typical chinesium scares me. Also, I’m waaaaaaay off the beaten path and there is no local anything available Except standard house supplies.

my system, while I chose it for different reasons, is a tinkerers system. Reconfigureable, adaptable, scalable, all top shelf stuff. Way too much work to set up en mass. A decent all in one is likely my answer. Was looking at the deye units but they just stopped shipping. Bummer.

It’s been a few months, what are your thoughts on this unit? Would you trust it if you lived far away in some remote mountains?
Hi, This unit failed and was returned for credit. I purchased Victron and Outback equipment. Just goes to show that you get what you pay for!

Hi, This unit failed and was returned for credit. I purchased Victron and Outback equipment. Just goes to show that you get what you pay for!
Yes please describe "failed".
- Did it fail to meet your expectations and loads
- or did it fail to start a hi surge resistive load like a chop saw or well pump
- or did it fail with a little puff of white smoke.

When I read Amazon product reviews I look more at the 1 and 2 star reviews than the 5 stars. Usually I can interpret what went wrong or if I can live with (or not) the thing the reviewer couldn't.

One man's pain is another man's "hey I could live with that". Happens with ex-wifes all the time. ?

One of these?

What were your system parameters? PV voltage, watts? AC load?
Yes, a diy, 48 volt, 3500 watt inverter.
The charger failed when using utility power.

Back