diy solar

diy solar

MidNite Solar KID 30A MPPT Over Paneling advice

cwoods400

I just recently posted a Super Question to the latest Morning Live Stream on YouTube (3 April 2021). I have not yet received an answer. I am extremely curious to find out what the safest over paneling solar panel wattage for the MidNite Solar KID 30A charge controller. I currently have 400 watts attached to the charge controller. I am designating this solar setup for portable usage. While I am happy with my current system, I want to ensure maximum charging for cloudy days. So, I am trying to over panel to compensate for cloudy days. However, obviously, when the sun comes back out, I don't want to fry my controller. I am using a 12V system charging into two Eco Flow River 600 units. I really want to keep the setup extremely light and portable. Thanks very kindly.

Best Regards,

Colin

MidNite recommends no more than 20%, i.e., when you use their calculator, if 1.2 KIDS are recommended, you should get 2.

I am running a 24v system. The kid is 30 amps, so I should be running only 800 or so panel watts into the kid. I am currently running 1500watts of panels and have been running this for 3 months so far. Its not ideal angle for winter, so doubt I ever get too close to 1500. I did notice the CPU and FET temps were over 60 degrees C, so I started to run a fan on the cooling fins which brings me down to the 20's C. So far so good, but we will see with longevity

Last edited:
Back