diy solar

diy solar

Mike from South Texas with ????s on 12V system

Maximus1234

Newbie here that's been dragging my feet because of confusion. Trying to figure out if I mapped this system out right and if the components will work together. Also do I need a fuse between the panels and the charge controller? All feedback is greatly appreciated.
PicsArt_10-14-09.58.45.jpg

Assuming you're running the 3x batteries and the panels in parallel (since you can't really series odd numbers) you're close. I can't get my paint lines as thick as yours but this should give you a basic idea. The 35a fuse between the SCC and the batteries isn't really needed since your total amperage is about half what the controller is rated for, but some people feel better having one in there and peace of mind is worth a few bucks sometimes.

Attachments

• PicsArt_Change-1.jpg
    PicsArt_Change-1.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Honestly, your setup is not the greatest setup for what you want to power with that inverter. If you had 1 more panel you could probably do a 3s/2p panel setup and that MPPT controller would let you produce a LOT more usable power.

If you could get 1 more panel AND 1 more battery, you could do a 3s/2p and a 24v system with a 24v inverter dropping your wiring and fuse down to 150a size.

If I had to choose 1 option though, a 6th panel to get that sweet 3s/2p setup would be my choice.

Honestly, your setup is not the greatest setup for what you want to power with that inverter. If you had 1 more panel you could probably do a 3s/2p panel setup and that MPPT controller would let you produce a LOT more usable power.

If you could get 1 more panel AND 1 more battery, you could do a 3s/2p and a 24v system with a 24v inverter dropping your wiring and fuse down to 150a size.

If I had to choose 1 option though, a 6th panel to get that sweet 3s/2p setup would be my choice.

Assuming you're running the 3x batteries and the panels in parallel (since you can't really series odd numbers) you're close. I can't get my paint lines as thick as yours but this should give you a basic idea. The 35a fuse between the SCC and the batteries isn't really needed since your total amperage is about half what the controller is rated for, but some people feel better having one in there and peace of mind is worth a few bucks
Appreciate the help, feedback and knowledge very much thank you. I am trying to budget for a 4th battery and 5 more panels very soon and I may have to circle back for your expertise at that time. As of right now these components I can swing and I really just wanted to get started building because I have drug my feet because of the fear of lack of knowledge of solar. Again much appreciated for your time making the graphics for me to follow that is awesome.

If you are getting more panels, get 4 more and then you can have a 3s/3p setup and don't have to figure out what to do with 1 oddball panel. If you are wanting to get more batteries, figure out if you want to go 12v or 24v before you buy the inverter. If you stick with the 12v you'll be paralleling the batteries together, but if you go to 24v that inverter will probably be replaced. 12v stuff doesn't like to run on 24v power... magic smoke, fire, angry wife and all.

trying to budget for a 4th battery and 5 more panels very soon
If you can spring it, I’d get one more panel soonest ASAP so you can run 2S3P. Worry about expanding later. Charging 12V batteries with an mppt receiving 24V from the panels could be a night-n-day difference over 5P panels if you are in northern of cloudy climes.
Then you won’t be reconfiguring and perhaps spending more later to get it done right.
really just wanted to get started building because I have drug my feet
Got it.

What is the 3000W inverter for?

I ask because that’s a little more power than I might do on 12V, AND if you don’t need 3000W you might be better off selecting a different unit.

Back