diy solar

diy solar

Milk crate portable power station

Bob142

Build more, learn more.
It's portable! It's modular! It seemed like a good idea at the time...

IMG_2580.jpgIMG_2578.jpgIMG_2577.jpg

DC crate has 2 Lion Energy Safari UT 1200 LFP batteries in parallel. (I made it 12V so it could be used to extend my Goal Zero Yeti 1250.) It can be a stand-alone DC power station, extend the GZ, and used in conjunction with the PVAC blue crate. Output is via an Anderson SB175 connector. There's a Blue Sea MRBF terminal fuse block hiding under the main positive terminal cover. The DC outputs are individually fused using inline AGC fuses. I've used terminal and component covers everywhere, and there's a clear polycarbonate barrier around the sides up near all the battery terminals and a lid for when the crate is used on its own.

IMG_2574.jpgIMG_2572.jpgIMG_2563.jpg

PVAC crate has a scratch-and-dent used Renogy Rover 30A SCC and a little baby Samlex SSW-1000 inverter. PV input is via Anderson Powerpole connector. The Blue Sea switch on the front controls power to the whole crate. There's a Blue Sea common source surface mount fuse block holding fuses for the SCC and inverter. I made a lid out of an HDPE sheet.

IMG_2570.jpgIMG_2579.jpg

Final PV system testing "action" shot. Renogy and HQST haters, avert your eyes... ;)
2 100W HQST mono panels in series generating 181W on a clear 34F (1C) day (ignore temp in app, the sensor wasn't connected).

IMG_2542.jpgIMG_2541.PNG

Milk crates - all the ventilation you would ever need with almost nowhere to mount stuff!

It's durable, it's affordable, it's portable, it's equipped with high amperage Loni Anderson connectors. It would make the perfect grab and go portable power solution for a impromptu concert with my electric guitar, distortion pedal and microphone in the forest along an otherwise peaceful hiking trail. Once the park rangers have been alerted to my presence by hearing Van Halen's ice cream man painfully loud five miles away, I would have sufficient time to create an unnatural disturbance, pack up and hide.

@Bob142 ... That is REALLY good ... really like your cabling -- very well done ...
Thank you! It took a few tries to figure out how to mount and route everything in the PVAC crate especially. Working with the big wires due to it being 12V was a pain. I'd have made it a 24V system if I didn't want to use it to extend the GZ Yeti. It would have made it much easier.

Here is my version of the PowerCube (tm). 1200wH of batteries, main breaker, fusebox and a 400 watt sine wave inverter. It is a layer cake, insulation on the bottom, a layer of MDF, batteries and BMS along with the shunt , then MDF on top to mount stuff. Installed it in the van today, it is awesome to have a house battery!
20200306_152842_resized.jpg
20200307_085536_resized.jpg
20200307_095936_resized.jpg

Renogy 500A. I tested it with 100 and 430 ohm resistors and it read accurately. I was impressed, I had concerns that with a 75mV @ 500 amp shunt it wouldn't be good with small loads but it seems really accurate.

It's portable! It's modular! It seemed like a good idea at the time...

View attachment 8425View attachment 8426View attachment 8428

DC crate has 2 Lion Energy Safari UT 1200 LFP batteries in parallel. (I made it 12V so it could be used to extend my Goal Zero Yeti 1250.) It can be a stand-alone DC power station, extend the GZ, and used in conjunction with the PVAC blue crate. Output is via an Anderson SB175 connector. There's a Blue Sea MRBF terminal fuse block hiding under the main positive terminal cover. The DC outputs are individually fused using inline AGC fuses. I've used terminal and component covers everywhere, and there's a clear polycarbonate barrier around the sides up near all the battery terminals and a lid for when the crate is used on its own.

View attachment 8429View attachment 8430View attachment 8431

PVAC crate has a scratch-and-dent used Renogy Rover 30A SCC and a little baby Samlex SSW-1000 inverter. PV input is via Anderson Powerpole connector. The Blue Sea switch on the front controls power to the whole crate. There's a Blue Sea common source surface mount fuse block holding fuses for the SCC and inverter. I made a lid out of an HDPE sheet.

View attachment 8432View attachment 8443

Final PV system testing "action" shot. Renogy and HQST haters, avert your eyes... ;)
2 100W HQST mono panels in series generating 181W on a clear 34F (1C) day (ignore temp in app, the sensor wasn't connected).

View attachment 8434View attachment 8435

Milk crates - all the ventilation you would ever need with almost nowhere to mount stuff!
great scott!

Boondox looking good!!!
I cant wait to get mine up and going will need it in few months, just too many other projects going on and training. Currently Tig welding battery tray now to get it in the Pelican case. Pics

Back