diy solar

diy solar

Milk crate portable power station

I wondered how much capability I could cram into two standard sized crates (I used extra large crates for the original system). So I started building a smaller but more capable system. Here's where I'm at so far on the new DC crate contents and build:
  1. 4S 280Ah EVE cells and DIY copper busbars (all harvested from my now dead Yeti 1250)
  2. 120A Overkill Solar BMS
  3. IOTA DLS-30 12V 30A charger
  4. AiLi shunt battery monitor
  5. Blue Sea MaxiBus 250A busbar and cover
  6. Blue Sea MRBF common source 3 fuse block
It's a crowded and tight fit. I still have to figure out a mounting option for the BMS and containment for the cells. So the battery side will get cleaned up considerably. I'm also planning on making a cover for the battery out of clear polycarbonate or maybe HDPE.

The coming soon PVAC crate will hold a 1200VA Victron Phoenix inverter and a 50A Victron MPPT SCC.

Pics of the build so far including a charging test:
IMG_4684.jpgIMG_4938.jpgIMG_4940.jpgIMG_4941.jpgIMG_4942.jpgIMG_4943.jpgIMG_4944.jpgIMG_4945.jpg

I wondered how much capability I could cram into two standard sized crates (I used extra large crates for the original system). So I started building a smaller but more capable system. Here's where I'm at so far on the new DC crate contents and build:
  1. 4S 280Ah EVE cells and DIY copper busbars (all harvested from my now dead Yeti 1250)
  2. 120A Overkill Solar BMS
  3. IOTA DLS-30 12V 30A charger
  4. AiLi shunt battery monitor
  5. Blue Sea MaxiBus 250A busbar and cover
  6. Blue Sea MRBF common source 3 fuse block
It's a crowded and tight fit. I still have to figure out a mounting option for the BMS and containment for the cells. So the battery side will get cleaned up considerably. I'm also planning on making a cover for the battery out of clear polycarbonate or maybe HDPE.

The coming soon PVAC crate will hold a 1200VA Victron Phoenix inverter and a 50A Victron MPPT SCC.

Pics of the build so far including a charging test:
View attachment 80029View attachment 80030View attachment 80031View attachment 80032View attachment 80033View attachment 80034View attachment 80036View attachment 80037
Any more updates or finished pics/info for this crate project?

Sadly, no. Other parts of my life snuck up and stole all my project time! I’ll get back to it eventually. Especially since it’s hurricane season again. Nothing motivates me like the threat of a big storm.
I know how that is. Thanks, and I look forward when you get around to it.

Four years later and the OG Milk Crate system finally got some upgrades:
  1. Replaced the Samlex 1000W inverter with a Giandel 1200W model
  2. Installed an IOTA DLS-30 charger (Giandel's slimmer profile made room for it)
Now it has both built-in solar and mains/grid charging capability.

Observations:
  • I don't know where 4 years went. If you find any missing years, they might be mine
  • I rediscovered the joys of installing components into something with almost no mounting points

IMG_7944.jpgIMG_7943.jpg

Sadly, no. Other parts of my life snuck up and stole all my project time! I’ll get back to it eventually. Especially since it’s hurricane season again. Nothing motivates me like the threat of a big storm.
Welcome back!
Yes, I just got back from SC and I noticed they build things extra sturdy down there, just in case a big one comes on-shore.

Welcome back!
Yes, I just got back from SC and I noticed they build things extra sturdy down there, just in case a big one comes on-shore.
Thanks! Now you've gone and reminded me that I never finished the smaller crate system and I should get moving on that too. 😄

Four years later and the OG Milk Crate system finally got some upgrades:
  1. Replaced the Samlex 1000W inverter with a Giandel 1200W model
  2. Installed an IOTA DLS-30 charger (Giandel's slimmer profile made room for it)
Now it has both built-in solar and mains/grid charging capability.

Observations:
  • I don't know where 4 years went. If you find any missing years, they might be mine
  • I rediscovered the joys of installing components into something with almost no mounting points

View attachment 206757View attachment 206759
Any data on power produced?

I’m going into year 3 with 204 kWh produced and expecting to finish this year between 300 kWh and 400 kWh total.

Found a light load to run off the generator 24/7/365. A rock tumbler.

Back