diy solar

diy solar

Mini solar generator

RyanAK

Posted this partially built in a different post, just completed it!

5x 4400mah li-po pouch cells connected to a maker charging board. The solar panel is from Suntactics. I added a little fan for some air circulation per recommendation of another user. It kicks on automatically if the solar panel is plugged into the charging board.

20210430_165224.jpg

20210430_165252.jpg

20210430_111527.jpg

20210409_195527.jpg

20210409_203045.jpg

Cool stuff, @RyanAK. One tip if you're going to route out that much plywood is to just construct it of layers. Then you just cut out the shape you need in each layer and glue them together with a heavy weight on top while the glue dries. Also, I think there's one spot where the exposed copper wires are a bit too close. I would try to scoot them further apart at that corner.

I am a Huge fan of solder.
I would suggest you use flux and a soldering iron with more power.
The solder should flow better as to avoid a cold solder join which will reduce the current capacity.
Also use shrink wrap and avoid bare wires that can get shorted.

Thank you both for your replies! A new soldering gun is on my list. I think the cold solder joints is an issue on another project I have also possibly even though its technically working.

I will have to watch some videos on gluing plywood instead of routering so much wood out. I have never even heard of that so i learned a new thing!

So far its working well, looking forward to getting some practical use out of it this camping season

Please Ryan, after 2-4 weeks of using it let us know how the model is doing. Like, how much energy you are capturing per day and how you are utilizing it. I have solar at a similar scale and trying to be creative on how to better use such small input in more ways, eg; DC lights, charging phone,...

Cool stuff, @RyanAK. One tip if you're going to route out that much plywood is to just construct it of layers. Then you just cut out the shape you need in each layer and glue them together with a heavy weight on top while the glue dries. Also, I think there's one spot where the exposed copper wires are a bit too close. I would try to scoot them further apart at that corner.

The copper wires are insulated, hard to tell from the picture. Its clear insulation (16ga speaker wire). I am assuming thats what you were referring to but if there are still concerns I am all ears.

Back