diy solar

diy solar

Mini Split Help

Cop101131

I have a pioneer 230v 12k btu mini split and I have no idea how to hook up the electrical directly to my solar system. I have a 5k watt inverter, 5 12v 100ah batteries, 60amp fuse and an mppt controller. I tried to hook it up but the mini split throws a low power error. Any suggestions? I have watched a ton of videos and can't figure it out. Thanks.

Having 5 12V 100Ah batteries would suggest a 12V nominal system, if the split uses 6.5A @ 230V the current on the DC side would be approximately 130A, but inrush during initial start will be double or more, which will cause significantl voltage drops, hense the low power fault.

Without going into depth, it appears the system is too small to support the 12k BTU unit.

We're gonna need more info on the inverter.
So this is a little embarrassing, I am 6 months into living off grid and not too familiar with the type of inverter that I have. So when I looked it up it looks like it's only for 110v.

Giandel 5000W Heavy Duty Modified Sine Wave Power Inverter 12V DC to 110V 120V AC with Remote Control and 4 AC Outlets & USB Port for RV Truck Boat​

Having 5 12V 100Ah batteries would suggest a 12V nominal system, if the split uses 6.5A @ 230V the current on the DC side would be approximately 130A, but inrush during initial start will be double or more, which will cause significantl voltage drops, hense the low power fault.

Without going into depth, it appears the system is too small to support the 12k BTU unit.
That makes sense. Do you happen to know what I would need to get it running? System size? Thank you kindly in advance.

That makes sense. Do you happen to know what I would need to get it running? System size? Thank you kindly in advance.
There needs to be a load calculation done, the best way would be to use an alternate source, grid or generator, using a power monitoring device like a Kill a Watt in real use over the time required. Doing an estimate using the rated wattage is inaccurate because there are too many variables, ambient temperatures, insulation, room size, ceiling height and so forth.

The 12 000 btu @ 110V will demand ~12A, the DC current @12V would be 120A, so the unit running at full capacity will deplete the batteries in a couple of hours, depending on chemistry. Using a higher efficiency inverter unit with R32 will help but air conditioning is very high demand and can't be done on a low budget.

So this is a little embarrassing, I am 6 months into living off grid and not too familiar with the type of inverter that I have. So when I looked it up it looks like it's only for 110v.

Giandel 5000W Heavy Duty Modified Sine Wave Power Inverter 12V DC to 110V 120V AC with Remote Control and 4 AC Outlets & USB Port for RV Truck Boat​

Don't use a modified sine wave, the compressor motor will overheat likely causing premature failure.

In your case it might be cheaper to sell your inverter and go with another model, or it might be cheaper to sell the split pack and go with a different model. both cost about the same i think for quality units.

i run a 12,000 BTU mitsubishi split pack on a magnum 4448 120/240 volt split phase inverter. it powers the entire cabin and the only time I notice any lights dimming is when my wife starts the microwave while the a/c is on and either the fridge or the freezer is running. it does use a tad bit more power than some of the smaller units, but has been pretty bullet proof to date.

To feed it I currently have 4kw of panels and a 400 a/h lithium bank that I am upgrading to a 8kw of panels and a 600 a/h bank. I can run it fine on the smaller battery and panel system but if I have a couple of days of shade I have to shut the A/C off. adding the extra panels and battery should let me run out to four days of bad production prior to needing to shut down the a/c.

In your case it might be cheaper to sell your inverter and go with another model, or it might be cheaper to sell the split pack and go with a different model. both cost about the same i think for quality units.

i run a 12,000 BTU mitsubishi split pack on a magnum 4448 120/240 volt split phase inverter. it powers the entire cabin and the only time I notice any lights dimming is when my wife starts the microwave while the a/c is on and either the fridge or the freezer is running. it does use a tad bit more power than some of the smaller units, but has been pretty bullet proof to date.

To feed it I currently have 4kw of panels and a 400 a/h lithium bank that I am upgrading to a 8kw of panels and a 600 a/h bank. I can run it fine on the smaller battery and panel system but if I have a couple of days of shade I have to shut the A/C off. adding the extra panels and battery should let me run out to four days of bad production prior to needing to shut down the a/c.
You can buy step up transformers for AC 120V to 230V.

That said. I would get rid of it if it's not a true sine inverter anyways.

good catch I never even looked at his inverter specs. just browsed across the topic and noted that he was 120 vice 240. Knowing that I would either sell or keep the inverter as an emergency backup and just get a better inverter. your looking at about 2k for a serious inverter no matter where you search. or you could run with one of the sigineer inverters. they seem to be a good trade off between cost and quality (only the low frequency models) they are the same company that makes Aims inverters for them as well as the "spartan" inverters that you can no longer get. their biggest issue seems to be idle consumption. its like 50 watts or so. if your system is large that might not be an issue, but if smaller then it could be a sticking point.

I actually am presently planning to use a step up transformer for a Mitsubishi 6k mini split if an alternative doesn't present itself by the time I start the build.

That way I can use a victron inverter straight through a shore plug and not have to worry about transfer switches and stuff if/when on a generator or shore.

I actually am presently planning to use a step up transformer for a Mitsubishi 6k mini split if an alternative doesn't present itself by the time I start the build.

That way I can use a victron inverter straight through a shore plug and not have to worry about transfer switches and stuff if/when on a generator or shore.
A good transfer relay.....That's something you see on only the better inverters like magnum, victron, outback etc. I do not know if I would trust any of the cheaper inverters relays to last any amount of time.

Link to the Mitsu mini split?

Has anyone installed the autotransformer you speak of? I want to do it so I too can go with a 220v Mini Split AC.

Has anyone installed the autotransformer you speak of? I want to do it so I too can go with a 220v Mini Split AC.
I didn't say anything about an autotransformer.

Do not confuse this with a step up transformer. The price and functionality are vastly different.

Back