diy solar

diy solar

Minimize use of generator

Mountainlion

Hi,

To reduce the use of a generator while Boondocking I was thinking carrying a smaller LifePo4 battery bank on the truck bed.

As we use the truck daily for excursions I was thinking to charge this bank with a DC/DC charger while driving.

When returning to camp with a full battery I want to charge the LFP bank in the travel trailer. What is the most efficient way to transfer the energy from my truck bank to the travel trailer.

Can I use the DC/DC charger to transfer the energy from the truck battery to the travel trailer?

Depending on your truck and trailer wiring harness. You may be able to permanently attach DC/DC charger in trailer to batteries. Then while you are in tow the truck could be charging threw the trailer harness. Pretty easy set up if you look into it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210405-232330.png
    Screenshot_20210405-232330.png
    288.9 KB · Views: 6
Hi,

To reduce the use of a generator while Boondocking I was thinking carrying a smaller LifePo4 battery bank on the truck bed.

As we use the truck daily for excursions I was thinking to charge this bank with a DC/DC charger while driving.

When returning to camp with a full battery I want to charge the LFP bank in the travel trailer. What is the most efficient way to transfer the energy from my truck bank to the travel trailer.

Can I use the DC/DC charger to transfer the energy from the truck battery to the travel trailer?
Yes

Depending on your truck and trailer wiring harness. You may be able to permanently attach DC/DC charger in trailer to batteries. Then while you are in tow the truck could be charging threw the trailer harness. Pretty easy set up if you look into it
Yep. Did run the wire today under the truck. But that was not really the question.

What I do not know is if the Victron Orion step up the voltage on the output port? I guess I will find out.
Renogy support answered that it was not possible.
I have a renolgy 40 amp DC to DC and the fact is it is a buck/boost device. I have tested this myself. As an example my 2019 truck has a smart alt. At idle it was holding at 12.9 volts. The output was 14.2. at 35+ amps.(that's what I had it set to)

Great idea.. I just hate the noise of the generators when I am chilling. So i am doing similar. Except with all the work planned on the trailer and wanting to get some time out before all is done I will be relying on the Aims 75A charger off the generator for really fast charges. I can live with 2.5 hrs to full once a week. Also possibly a 12 to 12 to top off the house FLA from the big LPO until a new LFP converter/battery goes in the camper. I think for travels the 12 to 12 is just a good piece of gear to have on board, even with just a set of clamp leads on it. Just have to remember to change the setting for each different use.

I don’t see any reason this couldn’t work. I think I’d put a SAE plug on the output of a DCDC charger and plug it into the portable solar panel port of your trailer (if equipped).

Mind the polarity!

I don’t see any reason this couldn’t work. I think I’d put a SAE plug on the output of a DCDC charger and plug it into the portable solar panel port of your trailer (if equipped).

Mind the polarity!
That is one way of doing it. I was thinking installing the DC/DC charger in the trailer with Andersen connectors on both input and output. Makes it easy to move it to the truck If I want to charge my portable battery.

And when charging the trailer battery while towing I just leave it in the trailer.

Back