diy solar

diy solar

Misadventures in charging, please advise…

Sold

I bought four each Eve 280ah batteries from two different Allie X suppliers and received them last week. One set all four were 3.294 and one set had 3@ 3.283 and an outlier of 3.271. I hooked them all in parallel and ordered a Kungbar power supply 30 V 10 amp and when it came in I hooked it up with the banana jumpers, using proper 3.65V set + shorting procedure at max amps. It defaulted to 3.5v and 4.9a +/- with the CV light on. There was very little movement in Cell voltage overnight into the next day so I put some heavier leads on but the ring terminals were oversized and there was little to no further cell voltage movement noted. Jiggling the wires sometimes made it switch to 10 A with 3.4 V and the constant amperage CA light would come on. I made a set of 10 gauge leads with proper ring terminals and hooked it up in tandem with the provided banana clips. Thurs p.m. cellV was 3.347, Fri p.m. it was 3.357, Sat p.m. It was 3.362 and this morning it was 3.365. The power supply settings are 3.57 V (set to 3.65) and the amperage reading is 7.943 (set to 9.5) and the CV light is on. One problem is that if I jiggle the leads the PS readouts go berserk and settle back slowly. The connections at battery and PS couldn’t be any tighter without possibly stripping. I’m assuming I have loose connections inside the brand new El cheapo power supply. And a looming complication is I’m leaving town for 10 days early next week. I’m gonna have to wrap this up tomorrow and possibly move the battery to my outside storage area even though it’s probably not going to be completely charged. Freezing temps are always possible overnight, but should I fear the possibility of fire at all if I leave it in the house? Will you please advise how to proceed and how to pick up the process when I get back. Also what to do to investigate the PS issue of loose connections? Also of possible import is I have another 8S 310 amp hour Eve battery in route from China, How to proceed with charging that prior to assembling my 8S2P 24 V battery. Thanks for reading…

I'd just disconnect power supply and reattach when you get back home. Top balancing takes a ton of time and patience.

Can you build up the pack in series and connect a bms? If so charge to 3.55v per cell +or- then set the cells back up in parallel to finish them top balance to 3.65v per cell. Much faster like this.

Thanks for responding, I considered Doing that when I read the download that recommended that, but I didn’t have time before I left town. I just unplugged them and left them in parallel till I get back. They got up to 3.394. When I get back I’m going to look inside the Pwr Sup to see if I can spot anything loose. Jiggling the battery cables scrambles the read outs. I think I will reassemble and proceed the way you recommended at that point because I should have a second set of 8 batts by then. Appreciate the advise.

Back