diy solar

diy solar

Mix old with new Lifepo4?

@Sojourner1
525+ cycles in 4 years??

I still don't understand the cycling stuff.
Some people say discharge 20% and recharge back to 100 ( for the ease of calculation) say is one cycle.
And that with shallow cycles like that you can reach easy 2000 cycles

Other people say, no!
20% is one fifth of a cycle, so in 5 times you do one cycle.
And you can make 2000 full cycles.

I don't know.
I hope the last but expect the first :)

2000 cycles is 5.5 years.. that would be good, especially compared to LA.

It it's only one fifth...
Then it should last + 25 years..
That sounds unrealistic expectation to me.

Looking at my laptop, mobile phone or the electric scooter I had...
They normally last 3 to 5 years.

I don't know.
How should we count??

I know Edison batteries that are 70 years old and still working like new.

Would be really great if it can do 25 years...
For now...
I already will put money aside to have it ready in +5 years.

A cycle is a combination of DOD that equal 100%. Shallower the discharge the more "partial" cycles to make 1 full cycle, supposedly the shallower the cycle the more you will get.

My system has been on and the batteries have been "partial" cycling for 1,475 times (or days) for a total of 525+ combined full cycles. Also, as we know using solar as a charging source those days that the clouds want to block some sun and the loads are greater than the charge for a period of time through out the day and a mini cycle occurs, I chalk those up to life on solar and no sense driving yourself crazy to get exact #s.

Bare with me as I wander into the weeds for a second and believe what battery manufacturers tell us for life cycles or potential energy stored with in the pack.

Using my GBS batteries and going by what GBS claims for longevity in my lfp bank it looks like this.
(100ah battery, 4 cells)
2,000 cycles at 80% dod or 80ah = 160,000ah
3,000 cycles at 70% dod or 70ah = 210,000ah

Having 500ah bank (5 -100ah batteries) at
80% dod x 160,000 = 800,000ah.
70% dod x 210,000 = 1,050,000ah.

Using 40% DOD or 200ah daily usage average. 200ah x 365 days = 73,000ah

Believing that using shallower cycling by adding a little extra battery for less stress on the bank, I'll use the 70% # claim.

(70%) 1,050,000ah ÷ (yearly) 73,000ah = 14.38 potential years in service.

I'm sure there are other factors that will shorten the actual years in service because we are living in an uncontrolled environment not some science lab with perfectly calibrated equipment.
We all have different expectations from our systems, some want longevity, other performance. Me personally I want my system to give the power to run what ever I want at any SOC (within reason) which it does with the least amount of coddling.
Example: Early morning after days of poor solar and bouncing around in a PSOC it's 25-30% SOC or 70-75% DOD (depending on how you look at it) I want to still use my 12 cup coffee maker, use the microwave for making breakfast and run other misc items knowing that the solar will do its thing when the sun rises.
My batteries/ system have already paid for itself and if they last 8 years doing what I'm doing traveling around the western US with countinous boondocking I'll be more than happy and anything over that is just gravy.

This system is my hands on learning experience into LFP using solar as the main source for charging.

I like to add that this is how I know the DOD cycle and other misc info I've recorded of the years to track performance of system/ batteries.

4_29_20 (1).PNG4_29_20 (2).PNG

Back