diy solar

diy solar

Mixing different solar panels

seiran5x5

I have looked everywhere I can think of and I can't find a simple and clear explanation for understanding the information about a solar panel. I have 4 100-watt HQST 100D-SSP panels, I need two more panels but I can't find this model # anywhere. I'm trying to find the closest match that I can but first I need to understand what I'm looking for. Which of these numbers are the most important when trying to match different panels?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Short-Circuit Current (Isc): A
Open-Circuit Voltage (Voc): V
Optimum Operating Voltage (Vmp): V is Vmp and Imp all that matter?
Optimum Operating Current (Imp): A

Those were some I was considering but I was worried about the short circuit current (Isc) being 6.5 A instead of 5.83 A . I just don't understand what is most important for matching different panels.

In parallel the voltage needs to match. In series the current needs to match.
The "max power" values of these are probably the best ones to use.

Those were some I was considering but I was worried about the short circuit current (Isc) being 6.5 A instead of 5.83 A . I just don't understand what is most important for matching different panels.
My understanding is it is all about efficiency in that if you use lower voltage panels with higher voltage panels then the lower voltage panels will drag down the voltage of the higher panels. Some people will do all they can to obtain the highest efficiency possible and other will accept a sight loss and live with it. Hopefully the link below will explain it for you In simple terms.

The other option is the "close one eye" approach, which will allow you to connect any panels you can find.
This has been known to cause cancer in the state of California & posting in the "Up in Smoke" forum. ?

I saw those as well but they changed the voltage and amperage of them but kept the model number the same. So annoying that they didn't just change the model number.
You’re really just looking for a panel that has around 18 volts VmP; 21 volts VOC; an ImP of 5.58; and an IsC of 5.83. Anything within 5% or better you won’t lose too much power. There is A link for the math to determine power loss.

I have looked everywhere I can think of and I can't find a simple and clear explanation for understanding the information about a solar panel. I have 4 100-watt HQST 100D-SSP panels, I need two more panels but I can't find this model # anywhere. I'm trying to find the closest match that I can but first I need to understand what I'm looking for. Which of these numbers are the most important when trying to match different panels?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Short-Circuit Current (Isc): A
Open-Circuit Voltage (Voc): V
Optimum Operating Voltage (Vmp): V is Vmp and Imp all that matter?
Optimum Operating Current (Imp): A
If you're connecting them in series, you want the current to be close or a little bit larger than what you have, not smaller. If you're connecting them in parallel, you want the Vmp to be as close as possible, within say 1 or 2 volts. If you're connecting them in series, add up the Voc for each panel and make sure it doesn't exceed the input rating of what you're connecting them to.

I'm hoping to connect them with the 4 I have already in series-parallel, in 2 strings of 3. I have the 40 amp 150v Epever charge controller, would I need inline fuses for 2 strings of 300 watts in series-parallel?

I'm hoping to connect them with the 4 I have already in series-parallel, in 2 strings of 3. I have the 40 amp 150v Epever charge controller, would I need inline fuses for 2 strings of 300 watts in series-parallel?
You should be just fine with 2 strings. I believe you only need inline for 3 strings and up.

Match them as best you can, then use two original panels plus one new panel in each series string.
Both strings will then be identical and will work fine in parallel.

In series if the panels have a slightly different current rating, you will get the lower current for the series combination.
If the current rating difference is small, its nothing to worry about.

Back