diy solar

diy solar

mixing grade b cells with grade "a"

mtnman1

I've got some grade "A" eve cells coming slowly and realized that I need another 8 and am trying to source them in the US. I've only found one place remaining that seems to have them in stock. The cells are "B" cells, but new. Any issue with paralleling a battery built with these with batteries built with "A" cells later?

They are all grade B. Otherwise, they would be getting installed in automotive applications.
Calling some grade A, is just marketing hype.
There's no issue with paralleling them together.

Did the vendor with the 'Grade B' cells say why they are being sold as grade B?

It seems that if the cells don't have obvious damage, the vendors always say they are Grade A. If the 'Grade B' cells have bloating or dents, I would have reservations about throwing money at them.

Neither 'grade' has any official definition.

Don't worry so much about it. Take each bundle, top charge to 3.650, assemble the 8 into series & add BMS. Then connect to a parallel set of busbars and out to AIO or Inverter system with the usual fuses, switch etc

If used within the working range of 3.000-3.400 you will 99% chance have no issues if you put them together properly. If you go outside those ranges the lesser quality cells will likely be runners, Down fast from 2.900 and / or climb fast from 3.500

What happens when you parallel a dipper with a normal cell, the dipper drains the good cell until it levels it out with its voltage unless I'm missing something.

Back